stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

update--attempt #2. I was able to get rid of the ghost circles from the previous time but the template jumped when spraying and it's a mess.

Going back in for #3 soon. This is fun.

Comment

You're learning....
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I am! I'm fine with it. That was the whole intent in taking on a project like this that had been gutted & tweaked so many times.

I do think I am a bit overly critical of my own work so far. I keep wanting the burst to look perfect but layering on clear and then sanding & buffing I think it will all look good in the end. I've gone thru and examined a lot of pics of silverbursts from the same era and they are for sure not perfect.

Comment

Keep on rocking. It will be awesome.

Comment

Maybe you'll realize at some point that the small investment in a sprayer is REALLY worth the cost. No need for templates (free-hand spraying). No starting over many times. No hard-edged bursts...much better looking results.

Pretty good videos posted by AlexR.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

There's a learning curve with templates or not... And he's having fun.

Comment

I don't own a real spray gun, but I would have just done that burst freehanded with a hobby airbrush (after lots of test runs on scrap). I wouldn't finish a whole guitar with one, but for a burst, especially a simple two-tone one so close to the edges, it'd work fine. Rattle can bursts are extremely hard to get looking decent. An airbrush would allow you such excellent control.

I have a Paasche V and a Paasche H. The V is dual action, and that's great for things on which you need to be able to very smoothly change your spray pattern as you are spraying. But for this purpose, something single action like the H would be preferable IMO. For this purpose, you want to pick a spray pattern and have it fixed, not worry about accidentally changing the spray pattern as you press the spray button (which is very easy to do on the dual action V). I believe there are also gravity feed models as well, which would probably be preferable for painting bursts. I just don't know the model names off hand.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-01-2019, 02:08 AM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

No problem with learning or having fun. But it's also very satisfying to create a great looking finished product WHILE you are learning and having fun. Every time you look at your guitar for years to come you will either be happy and feel very proud of what you accomplished, or you will regret that you didn't do a little more to make it better. It's night and day. That's a choice that you make during the creation process...long before you see your completed guitar standing next to your amp begging to be played.

It only INCREASES the fun and decreases the frustrations to do the job well.

A suitable air brush can be had for the cost of a movie, popcorn and drink. Yet, unlike a movie, the enjoyment lasts long past the completion of it's first paint job. And yet you still have it available to do the next job. It's an investment in happiness, not an expense of painting a guitar.

Comment

Okay, I'll buy that. I have a single action Miller I bought for $19 (with the compressor) at K-Mart back in the late 70's. Made a lot of money with it in the last 40 years, so yeah - good investment. Made a lot of people happy with it, too.

Comment

• Re: stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

I still have a few cans of paint left so I have no issue just trying until I get it right w/ the materials I have. This is only my 3rd refinishing project and first attempt at a burst so it's not like I'm looking to start my own shop in my garage.

That said, if you have some great videos or advice on what I'd need to get a spray gun setup I'd love to hear it. High fives.

Comment

If you're careful, you can poke a hole in the top of a spray can to release the propellant then pour out the paint and use it in a sprayer/airbrush.
                        I've done that several times with good results.

Comment

Got it to a place where I'm gonna keep it and did a cheeseball mockup. Looks kinda poopy cuz it doesn't have any clear on it yet. The clearcoat and a big polish at the end should make this guy pop. No witness lines from the blocks being filled though which is a big win. At least for now. They may show up later. Oh well!

Mostly I just want to start playing this thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	5817050

Comment

B*tch*n!!!! You're gonna love it, Blake!

Comment

It's hard to put off playing when you get toward the end of the build. Finish curing time and polishing just eats at me.

Hang in there. She'll be making noise soon enough.

Comment

Blake, I sent that picture to the former owner... He said he hopes you get as much fun out of playing it as he did. Get ready to rock that thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X