stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

so I bought that big ole project listed on the trading post a while back. An 81 V in natural with a huge route for a kahler and some other hot mess. I've re-routed the kahler to get it ready to be plugged. In process of doing the same for the S/S/S setup so I can get humbuckers back in there. Once that is done I'm going take all of the finish off.

That's my question. How should I do this? Assuming it's nitro? Just acetone? If I do, given that it's all mahogany will I have to grain-fill? I'll be spraying it a solid color when done.

Thanks!

Re: stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

heat gun and a putty knife
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Really? I thought that was just for poly?

Comment

It's real Gibson nitrocellulose lacquer.... Get some CleanStrip or Citrustrip, follow the directions. DON'T use sandpaper, use Scotchbrite or a plastic scraper (old credit cards or bondo spreaders are great) to remove the softened finish. Remove the last stubborn bits with lacquer thinner and an old towel. Acetone would work, but it evaporates away very quickly (especially in warm weather). Do it outside or in the garage with the door open. That way the fumes won't make you sick or piss off your significant other.

Grain filling is another subject. Let's talk after you've removed the old finish. Have fun!!!!!!
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That finish is lacquer; it will come off very easily with paint stripper and a selection of putty knives.

That said, see if you can avoid stripping the peghead face. The headstock overlay might be plastic, which will be marred by paint stripper, as might any inlays (if there are any in this case). The same applies to any other plastic parts on the guitar. You can brush the stripper close to them, but not over them.

The stripper should melt off everything, even the pore filler. Careful sanding will take care of the areas where you did not apply stripper. Clean up the leftover gunk with something mild, like mineral spirits first (will clean up the gunk without messing up any plastics or dissolving any finish you decided to leave, such as the peghead face). Use progressively "harder" chemicals for stubborn bits left in the corners of the cavities, or in grain lines. Then when all finish and stripper residue is off, wipe the entire stripped area with naptha.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Lacquer thinner and/or heat gun. Either will make quick work of the finish without damaging the wood. You will want to grain fill and stain to get a good match on everything.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I'm just going to make this thread the home of my many many questions about this project. Thanks for the help on stripping the body. I think I got that covered.

Next question--this used to have a kahler route. I'm going to plug it. Even with the pickguard and a new bridge and of course, my perfect paint job that will happen there is a decent chance that a seam will show. Wondering if I can just install a short maestro vibrola on this sucker? That would cover the plug-work and be a fun option. My only potential concerns are tuning, playability and will it fit on this body?

Comment

Gibson offered several different versions of their Vibrola....Which one are you considering?

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                  If I do, given that it's all mahogany will I have to grain-fill? I'll be spraying it a solid color when done.

Thanks!
                  I've done mahogany without grain filler and boy does that take a lot of coats. I wouldn't recommend it. Bondo 2 part glazing putty is cheap, available everywhere, and works well if you're not doing a clear finish. Don't use the single part stuff you don't mix though as laquer paint softens it up and it leeches out. I have no idea why something intended for painting over would do that, it sounds silly, but it was a repeatable disaster for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    Gibson offered several different versions of their Vibrola....Which one are you considering?
                    the little shorty.

basically this

Comment

I was going to post earlier, but your added pic above makes it even more clear: That is NOT a Maestro Vibrola. It's just a Vibrola. The "Maestro" specifies the "long" version, with the cover plate. The short version is the only one you can easily install onto Vs.

You can easily make the seam lines from the Kahler filler block disappear, so don't let that force you into putting a Vibrola on. Put a Vibrola on if you want a Vibrola, not to mask something that you can do well enough that it doesn't need to be masked. Just rout the Kahler hole to a clean, straight box, and cut a block to those dimensions to fill it. Some hand fitment will be required to fit the block into the hole. Afterward, the seams should be filled (two-part Bondo is great for this). Then the whole guitar should be seal coated, pore filled several times, and the pore filler should be encapsulated in another sealer coat before priming and color coating. If done well, that should give you a glassy smooth surface without any seams from the filler block.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Thanks! I'm feeling pretty good (so far) about my ability to do a decent job plugging the kahler and the previous S/S/H pickup setup. The bondo or I've heard people say feathering w/ kwikwood would work as well. I like the Vibrola cause, well, it looks fun and I don't have one on any other guitar and it would be a bit of insurance on my handiwork. It also looks a bit easier to mount versus drilling my own bridge posts w/o a drill press. Maybe I'm wrong?

What I really don't know what to do with is this wonky hole on the wing. It was stepped down to move the jack there. Routing it out looks like a ****ty proposition. But can I fill it with something? Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter Details 007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	5809167

Comment

I would make a wedge-shaped router template to clean that up, and cut a wedge of mahogany to fill it with.

Another option is to cap it instead of completely filling it. Rout off 1/4" or so, instead of going all the way down.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-30-2018, 11:54 PM.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

As I've mentioned to you, Blake.... fill all the holes, sand flat, glue on a veneer cap. Then finish, and no glue seams will show.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                              As I've mentioned to you, Blake.... fill all the holes, sand flat, glue on a veneer cap. Then finish, and no glue seams will show.
                              Yep, I hear ya and appreciate it! Just like getting a few different perspectives.

Comment

Working...
                              X