stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

boring update--finally had some time to work on this a bit more. In short, routing out a perfect hole and then shaping a piece of wood to also fit in said hole tightly is much easier said than done for the novice woodworker. I for sure have gaps and things are uneven and a little bit of me hates those Stewmac videos where he makes it all look so easy with his giant set of tools and like 50 years of experience.

I'm going to epoxy these blocks in, sand them back flat and then cover it all w/ a veneer to hide the uglies underneath. Still pretty hopeful about putting lipstick on this pig.

Comment

Titebond is a better option than epoxy
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

eh maybe not for gap filling

Comment

Still pretty hopeful about putting lipstick on this pig.
          I have faith in you, Blake. I know the bones of the axe are good, all you have to do is bring it back to life. Ugly or gorgeous - you can do it.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
            my only concern is how to wire 3 pickups in a way that makes sense and not a lot of space
            Tele switch...or Strat switch if you want the notch positions. Plenty of room for V/T/T/T on a V pickguard too. That is what I would do, personally.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

was actually thinking of a rotary switch

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                was actually thinking of a rotary switch
                Why? (Honest question, not snark.)
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  Why? (Honest question, not snark.)
                  I googled 3 pickup flying v and found and old faded series with 3 pickups that used a rotary switch. No need to drill the pickguard which seems cool and from the limited research I've done on switches the rotaries seem to not go quite as deep as the blade of push pulls so it might be an easier fit inside the pretty shallow body.

Comment

sooo I kinda farmed this up a bit. Got the blocks set into, filled the gaps, things were looking good. Got the orbital sander out to try and level things out a bit more, get rid of some of the glue overflow and then get a bit happy and realized I'd created a good size depression right around the old kahler route. I'm considering filling it back up w/ something (epoxy or wood filler) and lightly hand sanding to level it back out. If someone else has some amazing insights I'd love it.

Comment

Take it easy, Blake. Use a sanding beam that will go edge to edge on the body so you don't overdo it. I know you're anxious to make some headway, but finesse, caution, and checking your progress regularly will win the day. Old carpenters adage: Measure twice, cut once.

Comment

ha well yea, too late for that.

Comment

Hang in there, buddy.

Comment

i'm back

everything is level again. high fives.

I'm ready to route the pickups and drill for the bridge posts. I found my centerline and I have a new pickguard. My plan is make sure the centerline and the pickguard all lineup and then use the pickguard as a template of where I should be making my holes. Am I missing anything there?

Also, the neck binding is sanded down so much it's basically gone up by the 2nd fret. I'm sure I could replace it but there is almost no routed area or ledge for new binding to sit in. I could possibly just shave it back to match the neck contour but then I'd either end up with full width binding by the fretboard and crazy thin on the side OR I'd shave it all down again and hope I don't go right through it. On top of that, almost looks like a re-fret is in order so who knows if it's worth it.
                            Last edited by blakejcan; 12-02-2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

As far as Flying V tuning stability goes, I installed a Zero Glide nut on my 2008 Flying V. So far so good. The bridge is a StewMac Roller Bridge and the tremelo is a Duesenberg Les Trem II
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0081.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	5810659Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0074.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	5810660
                              Scotty D.

Comment

I'm ready to route the pickups and drill for the bridge posts. I found my centerline and I have a new pickguard. My plan is make sure the centerline and the pickguard all lineup and then use the pickguard as a template of where I should be making my holes. Am I missing anything there?
                                Your centerline is God, Blake. Double check all your math and positions.

Also, the neck binding is sanded down so much it's basically gone up by the 2nd fret. I'm sure I could replace it but there is almost no routed area or ledge for new binding to sit in. I could possibly just shave it back to match the neck contour but then I'd either end up with full width binding by the fretboard and crazy thin on the side OR I'd shave it all down again and hope I don't go right through it. On top of that, almost looks like a re-fret is in order so who knows if it's worth it.
                                Yeah, Skot played the crap out of it for 20 years. Don't mess with the binding if it's not coming off. As I remember, the frets were worn - but quite playable. Skot liked his action LOW.

Comment

Working...
                                X