banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try the Alex Skolnick Signature Set yet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone try the Alex Skolnick Signature Set yet?

Well the forum was started before social media took off, so most forums have been hurt by people spending more time on other platforms. Also, guitar music isn't as popular as it once was (even 20 years ago). But you know, I am on a lot of forums, and this one has the most real-life guitar information than most of them put together.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
      Nick Johnston, Keith merrow, tosin abasi, George lynch, satchel. Byebye SD, hellow Fluence.
      SD just released the Hunter GL CS pickup this year, haven't heard anything about George going anywhere(?).

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        SD just released the Hunter GL CS pickup this year, haven't heard anything about George going anywhere(?).
        That's indeed a recent development, granted. However, I suspect that folks who have been on this forum for a while will remember that in 2013 George suddenly left SD to start working with Arcane, with very little notice.

All materials and mentions of George were removed. I don't know why he came back, though.

Another endorser who left: Synyster Gates. Will Adler (had a signature SD pickup in his ESP's) also went to Fluence.

Frankly, I think SD should, and can, release more pickups than they are doing now on this release roster. I gave them a dozen hybrid humbucker designs, Mincer can attest to that, but they just refused to launch them. No new winding patterns would have to be created, etc etc.

FYI: I came up with 4 PAF style pickups, 4 medium hot and 4 hot models.

I guess we are all still waiting on the expansion of the single coil lineup too... Noiseless quarter pounds, Big Dipper style single coils, just to name two ideas. Or what about a rework of the StagMag, so it has a fiber bottom instead of a metal one, to approach pure single coil tones even better. Nordstrand does it already, so why not SD? It's not hard, at all. Or a Phat Cat mk2, with lower inductance.

I could go on and on...

Comment

The Arcane thing seemed short lived.

I can't keep up with all the models available now, I kinda think if you can't find something that works for you, maybe more practice is a better remedy, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
            I saw Alex live last weekend and his tone was incredible. Somebody has to give these pickups a try.
            I saw Alex live this past July with Stu Hamm and Joel Taylor and his tone sure was incredible. He was using a couple of his ESP signature Eclipse models one with a Floyd and one with a fixed bridge through a Peavey Classic 50 and I believe he was using pedals to help shape his OD and his tone was killer. I'm considering trying these pickups myself so I'm giving this thread a bump.

All I've found so far is this which suggests they're scatterwound JBs, so basically more dynamic.

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Alex Skolnick Signature Set When most people think of Alex Skolnick, thrash metal generally comes to mind, having started in Testament over 35 years ago. But Skolnick has displayed skills in the prog-rock/metal of TSO and Savatage, as well as the groove metal of Metal Allegiance. He also did a stint throwing down the legendary

Comment

I highly doubt they are scatterwound. There was really no basis for that claim in Darth's review, just an assumption from what I can tell.

True scatterwinding would make it difficult to reach the higher DCR (using the same gauge wire as the JB, at least) without overflowing the coils.

All the Custom Shop says is that the bridge is overwound. That seems more likely and is not the same as scatterwound. If it IS scatterwound, it's probably a thinner wire like the RTM uses.

Comment

All I've found so far is this which suggests they're scatterwound JBs, so basically more dynamic.

http://darthphineas.com/2019/02/seym...signature-set/
                An 8 year old account makes a first post to necrobump a 14 month old thread by posting a link and misquoting it? Big whoop and so what, except that it looks like a setup for this next post

I highly doubt they are scatterwound. There was really no basis for that claim in Darth's review, just an assumption from what I can tell.

I think this guy got it right in that trainwreck of a 70 JB Model thread

Originally posted by JimiTheFoot View Post
                It was mentioned because you came off as having uncovered some major discovery, but you didn’t. Cool info? Sure! Supporting info to what we’ve already known? Absolutely! Groundbreaking? Naw.

The part that is confusing, is your almost passive aggressive “attacks” on DP. “I like him..BUT”. “He knows his stuff..BUT”. It just comes across as fake and even pretentious at times. It’s clear that you have a personal issue with him, but pepper your comments with a little bit of “nice” to try to hide it. Whenever his name is mentioned, there you are with the “I miss him, BUT”. (as a result, you derailed your own thread) Even trying to take credit for selling him the pickup he reviewed?? Kind of weird really.

Anyway, as mentioned previously his blog reviews are directed to a more general audience and it’s clear that he knows some spec nerds will also be looking, so he offers something for both. A casual pickup consumer doesn’t want to get lost in the weeds with technical data. It may seem simple to you, but there is a greater number of people who don’t know what any of it means. The people who still think that DCR is the be all end all of pickup output.

The end
                Discharged was right to call out this comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                I have an eye for details few others have
                to someone that was proven to be wrong in the details of not selling the pickup to the guy that Luke Duke actually sold to him. Who cares where the guy sources his gear or what photos he uses or what readings he takes? To whine and complain so much about that blog, it's probably just bumping the traffic going there. It reeks of someone having a big wet sloppy man crush on someone that they wish they could be. But this is the 21st century and it's fine for everyone to have whatever kink sails their ship.

Opinions aside, anyone with "an eye for details" can see that fps-dean is wrong about that link saying they are scatterwound and that masta'c is doubly wrong for backing up the wrong assertion. What the link does say is

Looking at the wire via the inspection holes, it appears to be a wire with one of the thicker insulation options. These are techniques that Seymour has talked about that can reduce the distributed capacitance across the coil.
                and then how scatterwinding also reduces distributed capacitance and using thicker insulation is a way to get a similar result. And for the part that nobody has mentioned. Does the custom shop wind these on a CNC or is the wire laid on the bobbin by hand? In the strictest of terms a coil is scatterwound if the wire is hand guided. That is just a fact and not what fps_dean's link is saying.

Does anyone have the product in front of them and can talk about the wire? It doesn't sound like a single person in this thread does and the thread is the usual speculation and wishful thinking and then someone talking about losing artists to other companies and then a setup for this guy to make a new opportunity to slag one someone. I like the JB and want to learn more about it and the Skolnick but can do without this guy being so sour grapes. Can a mod ring the custom shop or ask sales for more about the Skolnick?

Comment

There's so much BS in your post above that it couldn't fit in just one bull. I'm not even going to attempt to defend any of it, because you aren't the rational type, I can tell.

Though you clearly have a serious hard-on for DP and Discharged. And what's this beef you're trying to create with me in multiple threads?

So far, you're just a toxic member and a fact-twister. You've added nothing and the holes in your own expertise are blatant (hint: you can't tell the wire type/gauge/insulation type just by looking through the peep hole, genius).

Are you Discharged's boyfriend posting on a shill account to defend his lack of honor? Maybe DP himself risen from the SD grave and posting under a new name? I have carried a lot of respect for DP over the years, sold him plenty of pickups and touted his expertise many times in his absence, but your behavior, erroneous posts and subtle attacks are exceptionally odd and consistently defend only DP and Discharged exclusively. That definitely raises some red flags.

Comment

This thread is closed. Please try to act like adults on here.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X