Reverb Or Delay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reverb Or Delay?

Depends on the type of music . Delays for more "spacey" stuff , reverbs for more consistency . I see myself using less and less delays these days ...

Comment

I like both effects , but have you ever noticed any excesses of specially reverbs can create a very blurry sound ? excessive delays are also something that sounds weird in some instances .

Comment

I am all about the weird. The weirder and blurrier the better (for many things I do).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm all about subtle. Sometimes I'll make my verb and delay dominant I the mix, but usually I'm putting it so far back that you only notice it when there is a rest between phrases.

Comment

Both! I usually have both on, just not at very high levels. I set them up so that you barely know they are there, they affect my playing in a good way but if I switch them off you would notice. I use an EQD dispatch master on my one board for both and the reverb on my Mark V 35 with an MXR carbon copy delay on my other board.

Comment

They both have their place, but if forced to choose one...it would be DELAY every day.
              *******Please check out some of my songs:
              https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                Studio, anything goes. Plate reverb, echo chamber, tape delay, analog delay, digital delay, etc... whatever works.

In particular, I'm a huge fan of EMT140 plate and Echoplex delay types.
                +1
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1
                '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

My Line 6 Spidervalve has a reverb called "slapback reverb". It combines a short delay with a fast decay reverb.
                  I think that it's my favorite.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I am all about the weird. The weirder and blurrier the better (for many things I do).
                    I lean that way on cleans to mid-gain stuff, but tend to go much more subtle with high-gain. (especially with reverb and phasing)

Step-mode on the Boss ph-3 and mode-2 on the ph-2 are both absolutely entrancing for dreamy ringing-out clean stuff.
                    Last edited by dave74; 08-08-2018, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I prefer Verb on these days , really . I Play some sort of Power / Thrash Metal , and Delays PLUS Verbs don΄t work for fast riffage , unless the delay is set very subtle . Verb , in other hand , can add thickness to the sound , but you still cand recognize the notes , while playing Thrash Metal , for example .
                      Last edited by zegonzales; 08-11-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

If I had to choose , certainly Reverb . As mentioned earlier , I see myself using less and less delay these days .

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Let us know how that one sounds when it comes in!
                          Well this pedal was a disappointment unfortunately.
                          It says it's a hall effect, but it's more like a very intense plate reverb mixed with a vintage sounding echo. Even the lowest setting is too much. An ambient player might like it, but not my thing. So I will be shopping for a new cost effective Reverb pedal.
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

This has been my addiction lately

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	5809421

Comment

+1,

As discussed, both are required for many styles, but subtle reverb is almost always useful... Ie if you hear verb, most of the time its too much, but if it's missing, most of the time, that's an effect in itself.

Interesting sidebar, saw a really good tribute band recently, however, the ornamental guitarist was really struggling... Missing well known parts, behind the curve, not owning parts.

Most of these parts should be warm, light crunched with lots of harmonic variation... Instead they were dry and thin.

However he did much much better on heavy crunched leads and considering that they are a well regarded band I'm thinking it's likely he was having pedal malfunctions on the warm crunch path and the most obvious candidate would have been a dead reverb.

You guys probably have all been there...
                              Whats not working?
                              Oh no, I need that tone on 70% of the songs...
                              Oh well I will have to push through...
                              OmG im playing horribly...

A nasty feedback loop of the mental variety.

If it was one of my bands and if it was gear we would have taken 5 to find a fix.

But they're in a different league and had a full house who was into hit after hit and I imagine the audience wasn't aware because the rest of the band nailed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by zionstrat; 08-20-2018, 11:08 AM.
                              What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

The Keeley Caverns arrived and has been put on my mini board. Unfortunately due to life getting in the way I haven’t had chance to use it at the regular jam night, but I have used it through AmpliTube on my iPad. It’s very flexible and cool sounding giving everything from classic spring reverb and slapback delay to great ambient washes. I recorded a brief snippet of In The Air Tonight with 3 guitar parts using the different reverbs and delays, and it sounds really cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                                X