Varitone Wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varitone Wiring?

I've been looking online for wiring diagrams for the original Varitone circuit. Every one that I manage to find shows me that the circuit works by simply routing the signal through certain capacitors, where I know it uses resistors and an inductor to notch certain frequencies, like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2862193610_b82184f436_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	5848854

Does anyone know how to turn this electrical diagram into a wiring diagram that shows the parts and all that? I intend to convert it into a passive pedal.

Varitone Wiring?

I believe those 10M resistors are to avoid popping noises when you change settings. You may not need them in a pedal (I’m assuming you wouldn’t change settings midsong with the pedal on).

If you still want them you can take a normal wiring and modify it.

“Get some 10M resistors. (I like 1/4-watt metal-film resistors because of their small size, but you can use any resistor type or voltage you want, so long as it has the correct resistance.) Solder one between the rotary switch’s center input lug (labeled “Center lug connects to volume pot lug 3” in Joe’s diagram) and the lug the capacitor is connected to. You need to use a separate resistor for each capacitor, which means a total of three resistors if you follow Joe’s diagram. With more than three caps, it can be tricky fitting all those resistors on a rotary switch, so small-sized resistors are welcome. This simple yet effective solution prevents popping noises in most cases, and is something Gibson used in their original Varitone design.”

Last edited by Blille; 08-03-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Varitone Wiring?

Yes, the 10 megohm resistors bleed stored charge off the caps to stop from getting pops.

It will pop in a pedal with no resistors. But how often do you change switch positions in a pedal?

The only downside is a little insertion loss due to the 100k resistor. I’ve made them without the resistor. Had one in my ‘81 LP Standard. Got many useable tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by DavidRavenMoon; 08-03-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X