Wood Test: Ash vs Alder (Strat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Test: Ash vs Alder (Strat)

I swapped the pickguard, so apart from the body neck and strings everything else (height, pickups, electronics ...) are the same.

BOth are american strats, one 90 alder, the other 02 ash. Both have maple necks and rosewood fretboards. BTW the pickup recorded is a van zandt vintage + in the neck.

So this is a controlled expriment of how the wood affects the tone. I know it is not perfect, but I hopethat at least it provides a good starting point.

Here they are:

2002 ash strat neck position

1990 alder strat neck position

BTW the 90 is the guitar that is seen in my signature, and the 02 ash is the one in my avatar.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

BTW I am lucky to have them both. The alder is really good for the SRV stuff, and the ash gets a little on the wild side (with all the harmonics it pocesses) when played with some gain. But clean, the ash cannot be beaten, the definition is to die for.

I was hearing those with different pickups as well. But did this test to see if I am imagining things or not, because afterall comparing wood (pickups) with different pickups (wood resp.) is not fair.

B

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
      you gonna have to repost all of this on the new boards! all your tests! they sweet! or make like a test page on your site,that would be cool.

Guess what!

B
      Last edited by dr.barlo; 03-11-2004, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Doc. This was a great idea you had. I love clips like this, people can actually listen and learn. A+ !!!!
        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

hey DR tester!!!!!! i dig the ash myself!
          Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
          Suhr OD-50
          Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

59paul and shred-dog, really glad to see you've liked comparison.

8)

Comment

Thanks Doc - it's great to have a clean comparison of the wood. So much for the argument that wood doesn't make any difference

I like both tones for different things... I'd really like to try an ash strat/rosewood fingerboard with alnico 2 pups in the neck & middle and a hotter A3 or A4 pup in the bridge myself.

Chip
              Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
              Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
              Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
              SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
              SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
              "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Re: Wood Test: Ash vs Alder (Strat)

I like 'em both. I prefer the ASH 2002 clip to the 1990 clips. Its sounds a little bit more lively to me, almost like there is just a bit more going on with the sound!

These are 2 great post for those of us who like to hear a comparison. This would help to make a decision for someone looking at buying an Ash or Alder....

Cheers!
                2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

the ash does sound more lively
                  Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                  Suhr OD-50
                  Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

I find the Ash more defined. Is that Hard Ash or Swamp Ash?
                    ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Let's Strat's Live on!

Give me a piece of ASH anyday!

Les Paul and Tele owner's eat your hearts out
                      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

yes what kind of ash is it
                        Down at the edge, close by a river.
                        Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                        Close to the end, down by the corner.
                        Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

No question that the Ash is more defined, but both have their place. Thanks Doc!
                          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Wow I like the Alder better - Warmer or darker or something - I especially like it during the riff notes vs. the rythem boogie woogie thing - sorry thats about as technical as I get - but Alder for me.

Comment

It is all about preferences. I consider myself lucky to own both of them.

BTW it's swamp ash!

B

Comment

Working...
                              X