Help me select some La Bella's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me select some La Bella's.

Hey all. I never heard of La Bella bass strings before, but have noticed them popping up all over here and at TalkBass.com. I need to replace the old DR-40's on my Korean Tobias Jazz bass. I'm looking at Strings & Beyond and there's over a dozen different types. Does anyone have a recommendation on what I should start with? I lean towards lighter gauges and I'm thinking of trying some flats. What little bass playing I do leans towards a smooth, clean, slowish style.

Thanks all;
    Artie

P.S. I don't know if this is relevant, but I'm thinking of updating the pups to the Duncan Apollo Jazz set. This bass uses passive pups with an active preamp. Vol/Bass/treble/blend pots.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-08-2018, 12:17 PM.

Re: Help me select some La Bella's.

I’m assuming you want flats?

I really like the Deep Talkin’ Bass 760FL set (.043-.104).

I had one set on my ‘73 Rick last over four years! Then I broke a string. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to try flats. My understanding is they tend to sound warmer and smoother.

Comment

760's in your preferred gauge are the classic LaBella flats. I suggest visiting the LaBella Website to make your decision. Just Strings is a bit awkward to browse. Once you know what you are looking for, then you can head to Just Strings to buy it.

I use 760Ms on all of my full-scale basses, and this short-neck .109 set of theirs on my Musicmaster Bass.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Yeah, I'd like to try flats. My understanding is they tend to sound warmer and smoother.
          Listen to recordings from the 60s into the early 80s. Flats were standard on basses.

Lots of players back in the 70s often stuck extra foam under the strings for a deader tone.

I’ve tried most of the flats and nylon tape wounds over the years. I used to love the original Fender flats. They had this certain “dirty” thing in their tone that I loved. The new strings don’t sound the same.

I used LaBellas on my first bass back in 1969. They were pretty common.

Rickenbacker flats were great too. They were made by Maxima.

I went back to the LaBella flats in the 80s. I wanted a bright tone, but without the piano overtones. More like an upright. These do that great. You can actually slap on them. Lol.

Here’s a live recording from about 1984. It’s my Rick (with Hi-A pickups) through an Acoustic 140 head into an Ampeg B-15 cab with a JBL. I’m playing with a pick and also slapping.

You can hear the low end is really thick sounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            760's in your preferred gauge are the classic LaBella flats. I suggest visiting the LaBella Website to make your decision. Just Strings is a bit awkward to browse. Once you know what you are looking for, then you can head to Just Strings to buy it.
            Yup. That's what I did.

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            Here’s a live recording from about 1984. It’s my Rick (with Hi-A pickups) through an Acoustic 140 head into an Ampeg B-15 cab with a JBL. I’m playing with a pick and also slapping.
            Nice. I think I'm going to try these: La Bella Gold Flats
            (Unless someone tells me not to.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Warm, smooth?

Not sure those would be desirable in a fretted Jazz bass
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Well, dang. I'm about to find out. I pulled the trigger yesterday. I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                  Warm, smooth?

Not sure those would be desirable in a fretted Jazz bass
                  why?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    why?
                    Because the beauty of bass is that it doesn't just sound like low notes on a digital synth. Especially on something with lively single coils

Just play around with the mids and high mids on your EQ, that's where most of the flavour in your tone is usually coming from. Something to do with harmonics, I guess?
                    Last edited by Adieu; 08-11-2018, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Because the beauty of bass is that it doesn't just sound like low notes on a digital synth. Especially on something with lively single coils

Just play around with the mids and high mids on your EQ, that's where most of the flavour in your tone is usually coming from. Something to do with harmonics, I guess?
                      What in the hell are you talking about?

A bass with flats sounds nothing like low notes on a digital synth.

Whether or not flats make for a "desirable" tone on a fretted Jazz Bass is up to each and every person whose choice it is to make.

The "beauty of bass" is whatever each person thinks it is, and nothing more or less.

If you don't like the way that flats sound on a fretted Jazz Bass, then you can just say, "I don't like the way flats sound on a fretted Jazz Bass." That would be a perfectly reasonable, and totally bulletproof, statement.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        What in the hell are you talking about?

A bass with flats sounds nothing like low notes on a digital synth.

Whether or not flats make for a "desirable" tone on a fretted Jazz Bass is up to each and every person whose choice it is to make.

The "beauty of bass" is whatever each person thinks it is, and nothing more or less.

If you don't like the way that flats sound on a fretted Jazz Bass, then you can just say, "I don't like the way flats sound on a fretted Jazz Bass." That would be a perfectly reasonable, and totally bulletproof, statement.
                        Not whatever you're talking about, that's for sure

Just saying that "bright and snappy" are often more desirable characteristics than "warm and smooth" when it comes to bass strings, pickups, woods, etc.

Comment

Well, we'll see. I pulled the trigger on the Gold Flats. Film@11.

Comment

Aston 'Family Man' Barrett made a career and some killer tunes using warm and smooth flatwounds on a Jazz Bass!
                            Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Stringing them up, as we speak. Film@11.

Comment

Working...
                              X