PICK SLIP WHEN STRUMMING FUNK!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PICK SLIP WHEN STRUMMING FUNK!!

So recently I started practising fast funk strumming in 16th.

I have always played funk at home and live just never really got round to learning to strum really fast which I think sounds awesome when used correctly.

I'm having this problem which is driving me nuts. My pick starts to rotate after about 10 seconds of fast strumming and before I know it, I'm strumming with the lateral edge of the pick and it just sounds mushy. I have always used a Jazz III and only recently switched to a 2mm stubby because I prefer the smooth edges for alternate picking jazz lines (sounds warmer and less harsh to me then the sharp Jazz III). I hold the pick between the flat edge of my thumb and just rolled off the tip of my index. I tried moving to the left edge of my index but didn't really help much. I also tried lowering my rest in sort of hooking up to strum but again it didn't make much of a difference.

Any tips/experiences? I tried to post a video of my strumming but it won't let me upload.

Thanks!

Re: PICK SLIP WHEN STRUMMING FUNK!!

Well practise more! And don't grip tighter....try other picks?
    Using two fingers??
    Try to relax it while keeping it firm....
    Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 08-09-2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Use a thinner pick and work your way up to thicker?
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Keep using the one you like better for consistency and not getting even more frustrated while using a different pick....better getting used to those weirdo jazz thingies and stubbies...
        Copenhagen player picks as we call them here

Comment

Yeah, I'd rather stick with the same pick, the sound of thinner picks just doesn't really suit me. I think I need the pick to strike the strings more horizontally rather than at an angle, like I've always strummed. Guess it's a matter of eliminating muscle memory and whapping out the good ol' metonome!

Comment

Try having the point of the pick like this.

Comment

I feel like stubby's would be awful for this sort of technique. I use Jazz IIIs almost exclusively, but if I'm ever doing something like your describing I'll switch to a bigger, thinner pick.
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I think what might ultimately help is playing the 16ths slower to begin.
                A while back my teacher had me working on funk rhythms too. My natural tendency (and I’m sure most people’s natural tendency) is to have a go at it with a pretty quick pace.
                He had me set the metronome to 60 bpm, and play through the book we used at that tempo. We never went faster. The point was that you absolutely need to be in the pocket. It’s much tougher to stay I the pocket at a slower tempo. Plus for you, the slower speed has the advantage of giving you enough time to adjust your pick should it slip.

I fought him tooth and nail on the 60 bpm thing and he was adamant that I stay at that tempo....I’m glad I listened because my rhythm playing is much tighter and confident because I now have to ability to be in the pocket at difficult tempos.

Comment

I use a textured pick from Cool Picks called a Cat's Tongue....
                  You will never have a problem with pick slippage again....

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Some people punch holes in their picks so the fat from their finger prevents them from spinning.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Both stubs and Jazzazz are horrible picks in my world, but alot of people use them...and there are really no rules other than keep at it...
                      And again....try not to pinch it too hard....
                      Again there is alot of picks that has more texture...sometimes it gets too much as well...
                      Picks is a huge world!

Comment

I'm not saying make a permanent switch, but there are more forgiving picks for that style. I would try to use a larger, thinner pick for a week and progressively move back toward the stubby. People seem concerned with messing with their technique by changing picks, but for me after years of using a Jazz iii, occasionally using larger and thinner picks highlighted flaws in my overall playing and picking technique that I was able to correct.

TLDR using a big floppy nacho pick made me a better player with the Jazz i / iii
                        Last edited by Silence Kid; 08-10-2018, 09:46 AM.
                        Originally posted by King Buzzo
                        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Ultex Jazz III or just the Dunlop Ultex are quite nice sounding, and keeps the stiffness without being too much like a Stubby.

Comment

Just to conclude, I pretty much incorporated all the various tips that were offered at once. Therefore went back to the Jazz III, sacrificing slight accuracy on alternate picking Jazz lines (nothing that some practice can't fix), went down to a very frustrating but beneficial 40bpm and started over, and started focusing on keeping the pick horizontal when strumming. Quite surprisingly, it fixed the problem in one session!

Every now and then I hit a bad strum and the pick moves again but 90% of hits are clean. Will keep practicing to get that to 100%.

Thank you!

Comment

Atta boy!
                              Sometime we just need to get back to the fundamentals.

Comment

Working...
                              X