Bass guitar into guitar amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass guitar into guitar amp?

I'll have to "Google" that. The title doesn't ring a bell.

Comment

Watch the speaker. I’ve damaged a guitar speaker using it for bass. In the late 60’s, loads of greenbacks were blown being used with loud Marshalls and bass. If you’ve got a speaker that can handle it, no worries.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah keep it to extra low wattage... or beefy stuff like k100's, v30's, classic lead 80s/mc90's
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Yup. I've had my eye on this Eminence WheelHouse 150 for awhile. At 150 watts, and driving it with less than 5, I should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            That's cool. One of the things that frustrates me about my bass playing, is that I tend to play guitar riffs on it. It's hard to figure out how the bass line is developed. How do you figure out what that harmony, or argument line is?
            Great post... Others have mentioned nailing the root and it usuall helps if you can synch up with the kick.

But that leaves a lot of room in between and thats where your guitar riffs come in handy.

Search "voice leading" and you will find a ton of theory that works in any instrument... I strarted off in trombone, so my ear was used to hearing the lines in between the root and melody, and for me that's where all the fun in bass comes in...

If you play keys or comp on guitar, you are used to seeing those interior melodies that connect cord tones... we all know the D/f# chord that resolves up to the G...

The cool thing on bass is you usually don't have to outline the chord, so you can hit a root, riff in between and use voice leading to "pull" you into the next root.

Also, hit lots and lots of "wrong" notes on purpose in between the roots and you will be surprised at how many of those weird notes augment your voice leading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
            What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I play through a Metaltronix (modded plexi, basically)

Comment

I don't know- Bass and guitar are just very compartmentalized for me. There was a time when I mostly played bass, and I'll never wind up playing the same thing on bass as I would guitar for any given song. It helps that I use totally different technique for each; I have some schooling with the bass, whereas I'm totally self-taught guitar-wise. I only play bass finger-style; I never play guitar finger-style.
                Originally posted by King Buzzo
                I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I’m self-taught on both. I’ve played played guitar longer but always enjoyed bass, more. I finally had to admit to myself that when there’s a song stuck in my head, what I hum is the bassline.

Formal bass instruction? Never use a pick? Lol sounds pretty fancy, man.

Comment

Not really, I never practice bass since I choose to budget more time to practice on guitar. I own only one bass (Squier,) and haven't really tried to get better at bass in a long time. I can sight-read bass better than guitar but it doesn't really benefit my playing to do that much.

The flip side is when my old band asked me to record certain bass lines with a pick, I almost couldn't do it; came out really sloppy so those takes wouldn't get used. It isn't like picking a guitar since the dynamic response and feel are totally different. But my instructor was an old-school Jazz guy so I was pretty much told not to use one from the start.
                    Originally posted by King Buzzo
                    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Isn’t that kind of limiting yourself? The attack from a pick sounds good in the mix, sometimes.

And yeah, I’ve played bass in a couple bands but only seriously picked it up again, recently. It’s more fun than guitar.

Comment

Good info here!! (as usual!)
                        I love and want to play guitar.. But, Im untalented, uncoordinated and hard of hearing. so its a tremendous uphill battle. I like bass too and probably would be a better bass player as with my hearing loss, I hear lower frequencies better. I just always tend to want to wank on the bass, and I know thats not what its about..

Plus, more bands seem to need and want bass player.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                        X