Bass guitar into guitar amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass guitar into guitar amp?

For as long as I've been into electronics and audio, I think I know the answer, but a little confirmation never hurts.

I hardly ever touched my bass, so traded my little Peavey MAX112 bass amp to a friend last year to save room in my very small music room. Now I'm getting interested in it again. Am I correct that it shouldn't hurt anything to play through my guitar amps as long as I stay at "bedroom" levels? I can't imagine ever exceeding 2 or 3 watts.

Artie

Re: Bass guitar into guitar amp?

It’s not going to hurt the amp unless you crank it. Even then I used to play through a little practice amp on 10 to get distortion! Lol

Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn (both originally guitarists) used to play though open back Fender guitar amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One word.... Lemmy!

Comment

Bass guitar into guitar amp?

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        One word.... Lemmy!
        Lots of guys used Marshall and Hi-Watt guitar amps for bass back in the day. Marshall did make a bass version. I think they still do.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
          Lots of guys used Marshall and Hi-Watt guitar amps for bass back in the day. Marshall did make a bass version. I think they still do.

True, but Lemmy cranked the piss out of his Marshalls to the point of being overdriven.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation guys. My Tobias sounds great through my Bogner Alchemist. Next, I want to try it through my little H&K Tubemeister 5.

Comment

True, but Lemmy cranked the piss out of his Marshalls to the point of being overdriven.
              And Jack Bruce made that his trademark tone decades before Lemmy.

Comment

I run mine through my guitar amps–Fender Blues Deluxe and Yamaha THR10C. No issues here, sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                  I run mine through my guitar amps–Fender Blues Deluxe and Yamaha THR10C. No issues here, sounds great!
                  Doesn't that little Yammy have a bass preset?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                    And Jack Bruce made that his trademark tone decades before Lemmy.

1975 (when Motorhead started) isn't even a decade's difference...LOL. But yeah, Jack had a similar overdriven tone on some stuff.

FTR, I've run my bass through my Vox AV30 analog modeler on the Fender model and it sounds really good. Flat EQ is about perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Doesn't that little Yammy have a bass preset?
                      Indeed it does! Sounds awesome.

I couldn't be more impressed with that THR10C.

Comment

Cool. Aceman got me thinking about the EHX Battalion. Nice unit, but more expensive than many small bass combos.

Comment

1975 (when Motorhead started) isn't even a decade's difference...LOL. But yeah, Jack had a similar overdriven tone on some stuff.

FTR, I've run my bass through my Vox AV30 analog modeler on the Fender model and it sounds really good. Flat EQ is about perfect.
                          Cream existed from 1966 to 1968. Those live Cream tracks had a very distorted bass. So did Jack’s first solo album (1969). I call that a decade.

You can’t say that Jack’s tone didn’t influence Lemmy. Most people had never heard of Lemmy or Motörhead until about 1980.

Most people also don’t know he was in Hawkwind. I listened to prog back then so I knew who they were. But he sounded very different then.

Comment

Cream was a "gateway" band for me. Opened me up to a whole new music style. I think I was 14 - 15 at the time. I still have Disraeli Gears, and a few others, on vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Cream was a "gateway" band for me. Opened me up to a whole new music style. I think I was 14 - 15 at the time. I still have Disraeli Gears, and a few others, on vinyl.
                              Same here. I was about 13. My friend brought over a few of his older brother’s records. I think it was Wheels of Fire and Goodbye.

I hadn’t heard a bass played like that, or with that tone! I bought a Maestro fuzz off my PhysEd teacher in middle school and played my bass though that. Lol.

I’ve been over playing ever since. [emoji6]

Comment

Working...
                              X