Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass guitar into guitar amp?

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Cool. Aceman got me thinking about the EHX Battalion. Nice unit, but more expensive than many small bass combos.
    I've had good luck with EHX stuff...haven't tried the Battalion though.

Looking at the price, those look about the same price as I paid for my THR10C (that being said, I bought mine used from a GC.)

Comment

The Battalion has the advantage of size. My music room is a small 3rd bedroom in our house, at about 9 x 11. I figure I could process the bass through it then run it into either a guitar amp or some active monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
        Cream existed from 1966 to 1968. Those live Cream tracks had a very distorted bass. So did Jack’s first solo album (1969). I call that a decade.

You can’t say that Jack’s tone didn’t influence Lemmy. Most people had never heard of Lemmy or Motörhead until about 1980.

Most people also don’t know he was in Hawkwind. I listened to prog back then so I knew who they were. But he sounded very different then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I hadn't heard much live Cream stuff until the 80's when I was a teenager. Heard lots of the studio tracks though on the radio. I found recordings of their 2005 reunion shows not long after they were done. Great recordings. They still had the magic.

Jack influenced so many, tone or technique, it's hard to keep track. Some of my favorite bassists are from that era. Jack, John Paul Jones, John Entwistle, Geezer Butler. They played the bass not just riding a note but complimenting the guitar yet holding the rhythm and groove.

I dove in to playing bass full time in February this year after playing guitar for 30+ and playing in a local group for 11. I had played bass in a college band in the early 90's and dabbled in it some in the mid 90's but for a good 20 years I hadn't done anything serious. Greg Chaisson has a been a big influence as well. His style is like that old school way of playing. Met him at a Badlands show in '92 and he gave me some really good tips that I still remember. It even helped with my rhythm guitar playing.

While I haven't got up to snuff in the technique department like those guys, I like to play along and learn what's going in. It's helped me find my own style. If the song calls for riding the note and following the guitar, that's what I do. The cool thing is I'm in a band playing and we are getting things tight. Just covers and I'm good with that. We're having fun and that's what counts.
        Last edited by ErikH; 08-10-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

That's cool. One of the things that frustrates me about my bass playing, is that I tend to play guitar riffs on it. It's hard to figure out how the bass line is developed. How do you figure out what that harmony, or argument line is?

Comment

That's cool. One of the things that frustrates me about my bass playing, is that I tend to play guitar riffs on it. It's hard to figure out how the bass line is developed. How do you figure out what that harmony, or argument line is?
            For a lot of stuff, I simply looked it up online and went from there. For those I couldn't find, I'd set the EQ to where I could hear more bass and it allowed me to pick out what was going on here and there. Depending on the mix of the song, it can be easy or a pain in the ass. I always make sure I know the root note of the chords and then go from there. You have to separate yourself from the guitar and listen to what is going on with the drums. It'll help lock in with the bass line. It's helped me. Sure, some songs have to follow the guitar (as mentioned) but locking in with the drums is what will fill that foundation.

One of the fun ones to play is Thin Lizzy's Cowboy Song. There's dual guitar doing harmony going one way on a note and the bass is going the other way. We have one guitarist and myself on bass (close to your age actually). His playing makes it easier on me, honestly. He's so good that I never have a problem finding something to play underneath. He likes that Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones style too. There's songs where I will play the guitar riff because it works and that's what's there, like the bridge section of Doctor Doctor by Robert Palmer. Then there's those where it's something else completely, like the chorus of Immigrant Song (which kills me every time).

I sometimes wonder if I was born in the wrong decade...lol.
            Last edited by ErikH; 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Bass guitar into guitar amp?

I play both bass and guitar. You have to think like a bass player when you play bass. I suppose that comes from learning bass lines and then imitating things you like in them.

Bass can be both rhythmic and melodic.

Funny thing is I had the opposite happen. I’ve mostly played bass in bands for the past 47 years, even though I played guitar first. And I mostly play guitar at home and on recordings I play everything.

So in my current “band” (it’s just me and the singer) I decided to play guitar live. It felt really foreign at first just because I lacked the stage time playing guitar.

Comment

Good info. The main reason I listen to Jamiroquai is for the bass line. That guy is amazing.

Comment

I tend to do the same. Playing the bass should be seen as more of a "drummer" than a guitarist–very important to keep time. Less is more, which is where my bass playing needs a lot more practice...I tend to try and play riffs like a guitar rather than help the song move in time.

There's a guy on YouTube who also has a whole website...lookup Scott's Bass Lessons. He has given some great free stuff out there on YouTube.

Another thing is to start small and slow–just play the root notes in time and develop the flow from one note/chord to the next. You can then build on a solid tempo and add in-time riffs to help spice up your bass playing. My $0.02

Comment

Yup. I've been subscribed to his channel for a couple years now.

Comment

Amp itself? Doesn't matter whatsoever

Speakers? Matters somewhat, at higher volumes and wattages you MIGHT be able to blow some weaker speakers (so no quad 25watters with a 100w head)
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the EHX Battalion. I'm going to try running it through my little Tubemeister 5 head into my 12" Celestion cab.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          True, but Lemmy cranked the piss out of his Marshalls to the point of being overdriven.
                          So did Jack Bruce. Only he was playing an EB-3.

Here’s a good example of his tone.

Comment

And let’s not forget the great Felix Pappalardi

Really cranked up Sunn amps!

Comment

And Tim Bogert.

He told me he used a small guitar practice amp cranked all the way up for this!

Comment

My favorite Cream tune is Deserted Cities of the Heart. Incredible driving bass line under pinning that, decades before Iron Maiden.

Comment

Working...
                                X