Hipshot GT2 Guitar Xtender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hipshot GT2 Guitar Xtender?

So I hear this is like a D-Tuna for the headstock. I've got a few questions.
    • Is it reliable? Does it stay in tune to and from tuning changes?
    • Does it require drilling?
    • Is there a "bring your own tuner" version?

Has anyone here ever tried one? I think it would be a nice addition to my non-floyded Strat as I frequently go into drop d, but I want to know I'm getting a good product without having to buy a whole set of schaller tuners.

Re: Hipshot GT2 Guitar Xtender?

Originally posted by '59 View Post
    So I hear this is like a D-Tuna for the headstock. I've got a few questions.
    I've never used the guitar version, but longcat & I have extender keys on most of our basses.

• Is it reliable? Does it stay in tune to and from tuning changes?
    That depends on what you mean by tuning changes. If you set it up in standard to drop to D and then move to Eb, you'll need to adjust the extender before it'll settle to Db. If you leave the guitar in standard and are only dropping to D, that's pretty stable.

• Does it require drilling?
    I'm not sure. On our basses we were installing Gotoh keys at the same time, so my tech may have drilled any extra holes.

• Is there a "bring your own tuner" version?
    No.

Has anyone here ever tried one? I think it would be a nice addition to my non-floyded Strat as I frequently go into drop d, but I want to know I'm getting a good product without having to buy a whole set of schaller tuners.
    Hipshot extender keys are good products, but they're not magic. If your Strat has a vibrato, I would expect the extender key to mess up the bridge setup unless it's blocked; pretty much the same as tuning down to drop-D using your existing low E tuner. You also don't necessarily need to replace all of the tuners on your Strat. I've seen guitars with a Schaller or Gotoh extender key installed along side of kluson-style tuners.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
    X