Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Four fingers? Three-always? 3.5?

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    When I first learned guitar, I was taught classical technique. So I anchor with my thumb and use my four fingers for fretting. What's interesting is I can pick with all five digits on my right hand if I wish. Though truthfully, I don't very often.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    When I learned bass it was; cover each fret with the corresponding finger for fretting, and anchor your thumb behind the neck. So that included the pinkie.

I pretty much only play bass finger style with index and middle on my right hand; and I'm useless playing finger style guitar. I can't pick or strum guitar with my fingers; need a pick.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

For a second, I thought we were talking about the right hand here. I've used three fingers to pick before, but never four. My pinky flies in the air like a batwing.

As for the fretting hand, you definitely have to use all four fingers. I think the larger frets and wider string spacing require you to stretch out. Obviously it depends on the type of music, but I'd recommend working on using all four for fretting.

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
        For a second, I thought we were talking about the right hand here. I've used three fingers to pick before, but never four. My pinky flies in the air like a batwing.

As for the fretting hand, you definitely have to use all four fingers. I think the larger frets and wider string spacing require you to stretch out. Obviously it depends on the type of music, but I'd recommend working on using all four for fretting.
        Fretting hand

Sometimes stretching instead of shifting slows you down... trying to utilize your pinky on the 4th/5th string of a wide-spaced baseball bat might be counterproductive during fast parts
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I use the smallest muscle groups I can get away with and don't move if I don't need to, so yeah, pinkie always.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use my pinkie ALOT. Hammer ons, pull offs, I even use it in place of my third finger for fast fretting power chords.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
              I use my pinkie ALOT. Hammer ons, pull offs, I even use it in place of my third finger for fast fretting power chords.
              Oh on guitar, for sure

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I use the smallest muscle groups I can get away with and don't move if I don't need to, so yeah, pinkie always.
              Hmm maybe I have short pinkies or something .. on the lower (thicker) bass strings, especially near thw nutI find the pinkie stretch often forces a turn of the wrist and locks it and the elbow into an inherently slow position
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Oh sh¡t the Bassment. Sorry, I dont enter the individual forums, just the new posts. Disregard. It's almost 9am, I'm going to bed...
                Last edited by Van Noord; 10-26-2018, 07:47 AM.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
                X