Four fingers? Three-always? 3.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four fingers? Three-always? 3.5?

Seeing how the scale and spacing are considerably wider than with guitar, while most bass patterns are also a bit simpler, do you actively train yourself to fully use your fretting hand pinkie? Occasionally, as needed, where convenient?

Or never, as it just makes things more complicated than necessary and slows you down?
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Re: Four fingers? Three-always? 3.5?

For me, the pinky comes into use automatically when needed. I don't think about it.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Automatic for me too.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I'm no bass player, but I've been told that you are supposed to use all of them except your ring finger.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

You have 4 fingers and a thumb. Why in the hell would you cheat yourself by NOT using one of them? Might as well say you can only use one ear.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            For me, the pinky comes into use automatically when needed. I don't think about it.
            Nah, I guess I meant "last resort supplemental" vs. "Use it as much as the rest"?
            Last edited by Adieu; 08-15-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              You have 4 fingers and a thumb. Why in the hell would you cheat yourself by NOT using one of them? Might as well say you can only use one ear.
              Well you only have 4 strings... also, with positions where it's a bit of a reach, it's debatable what's faster and more convenient, to stretch or to reposition the wrist and use another finger
              Last edited by Adieu; 08-15-2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Once you have a strong pinkie, it's often faster and more convenient (but factoring in tempo, note length and all that jazz too...it really depends)
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Pinkie always.

I broke my pinkie in a cycling accident in 2000. Since that time it's sort of curved in toward the ring finger, in such a way that actually works well for fingering bass.
                  '69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1
                  '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                  '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                  '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                  '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                  '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                  '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    This

Comment

I typically use my pinky for hammer-ons or bar chords. Got all of my fingers, might as well use them!

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                        Nah, I guess I meant "last resort supplemental" vs. "Use it as much as the rest"?
                        For me, neither. Certainly not a last resort, but to be fair it probably doesn't see quite as much use as the other three.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Ok maybe i asked wrong: how many fingers you got MAJOR callouses on (if you don't play regular guitar)?

Comment

I use pinky constantly. I shift hand positions often with pinky slides and even use it to power chord, mostly paired with the middle finger for root-5th chords. Occasionally I'll do the index-pinky root-5th near the nut if my hand is being crampy and it needs held for awhile.

One of the best things you can do to help the pinky is to use it for trills paired with each other finger, and then of course using it to slide helps too.
                            At the very least it's needed for good hammer-pull variety.

Comment

When I first learned guitar, I was taught classical technique. So I anchor with my thumb and use my four fingers for fretting. What's interesting is I can pick with all five digits on my right hand if I wish. Though truthfully, I don't very often.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X