banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a semi-hollow body electric bass? No F holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend a semi-hollow body electric bass? No F holes?

Adding a teaching gig that will include travel and thinking a low cost, lightweight 4 string hollow body might be the best approach-
    Long or short scale would be fine.

I would prefer no F holes to reduce feedback, kind of a 'Lucille in a bass' but I haven't found anything like this- Do they exist (other than the Hoffner Beatle bass?) Maybe the lack of F holes wouldn't give a low enough resonance point?

The search uncovered a few cheapies that do have F holes- Gotta say this ric knock off looks good, but I imagine it's junk-

Open to any and all input!
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Re: Can anyone recommend a semi-hollow body electric bass? No F holes?

Whats the goal?

Weight reduction? Satisfy curiosity? Need unplugged volume?
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      Whats the goal?

Weight reduction? Satisfy curiosity? Need unplugged volume?
      Low weight and hollowbody tone... I've got a heavy sustaining 6 string bass that I dont want to cary and I could use the thinner hollow tones in the studio as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Beware of potential neck dive.

I've wanted and looked at these for years; possibly it's less of a concern with short scale.

But any I tried that were long scale had serious dive issues.
        '69 Fender Mustang bass
        '69 Gibson EB-1
        '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
        '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
        '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
        '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
        '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
        '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
          Beware of potential neck dive.

I've wanted and looked at these for years; possibly it's less of a concern with short scale.

But any I tried that were long scale had serious dive issues.
          Good point... Fat strap required

Comment

If light weight and portability were the primary concerns, I'd be looking at a Fender Mustang or something similar. My Mustang feels like a toy, weight-wise next to my P,
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1
            '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
            '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
              If light weight and portability were the primary concerns, I'd be looking at a Fender Mustang or something similar. My Mustang feels like a toy, weight-wise next to my P,
              Being a fender, I imagine the e string is pretty full? To me thats the only downside to some shortscales that have flabby e strings.

Comment

It's not flabby, but the bass is what it is and will never sound like it's bigger cousins.

I use heavy gauge Rotosound tapewounds on mine
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

epiphone makes a rumblekat that is hollow with no f holes but it isnt light at all. very cool bass for what it is though

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    epiphone makes a rumblekat that is hollow with no f holes but it isnt light at all. very cool bass for what it is though
                    Thanks Jeremy! The Rublekat is my #1 contender, but I'm trying to learn more since I haven't found one to play locally-

1. Online demos are a bit lacking- seems that they spend all of their time riffing on a d and g strings and the few times they hit an e it sounds weak or buzzy (weaker than I would expect based on scale length)- Really could use more of standard root and connect bass line demos-

2. However, people talk about them as having tons of bottom end, so I'm wondering if demos aren't recorded well? Interested in input from Rublekat users!

3.One video that covers real world riffs is in German- but seems to have the 60s hollowish vibe I'm hoping for and interesting use of a mute- possible he has gone to flat wound to kill buzz and 'farting' on the e?
                    Last edited by zionstrat; 08-24-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

i dont think the low e is weak or buzzy at all. there isnt a ton of tonal versatility but its a good sounding bass for what it is. a short scale bass isnt going to have the same whomp that a longer scale does but it sure doesnt sound whimpy at all

Comment

Yeah, it's the most likey candidate right now.

Somewhat surprised considering all of the 60s memes, but our GC and Sam Ash only have a few hollow bodies.

Well I've got enough and will decide to pull the trigger if transporting my 6string becomes as overwhelming as I expect.

Will update thread when something happens.

Comment

If weight is the main issue, get a basswood ibby and done
                          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                          X