Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss ML2 - Metal Core Pedal - Not Bad at All

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Yes, you plug you guitar into the pedal and then plug the pedal straight into the effect return jack. Be careful - on my amp that puts the signal at full volume! I start with the pedal volume adjusted very low at first.
    Nothing gets plugged into the front OR the effects send jacks. If you want modulation pedals you put them before or after the other pedal, either guitar>modulation>distortion>amp effects return jack or guitar>distortion>modulation>effect return jack
    Thanks! The word picture you created in my head looks sensible. Can't wait to try this experiment later

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      You can try it into the return and place the mod pedal either before or after the ML-2 (which ever side of the gain you usually run your mods), but my bet is that you'll miss having more control over the mids and entire EQ spectrum.
      I hear you. I like my mods before distortion hence why I like running them in loop. Wah and drives (if I use a drive pedal at all) out front.
      Let's see if I can discover what Ola discovered lol. I don't think the ML2 will sound "better" than it does now by running it through the loop though. Its hated cousin definitely sounded better in the loop and terrible out front! This isn't a Metal Zone though

Comment

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
        I hear you. I like my mods before distortion hence why I like running them in loop. Wah and drives (if I use a drive pedal at all) out front.
        Let's see if I can discover what Ola discovered lol. I don't think the ML2 will sound "better" than it does now by running it through the loop though. Its hated cousin definitely sounded better in the loop and terrible out front! This isn't a Metal Zone though
        I think it's more just how you set it up with all the knobs at play. IMO the MT-2 into the front can be better than the pedal on it's own as a preamp, but it also adds much more complexity to adjustments by having two sets of knobs that will overlap each other. Using a 12ax7-stage right after the MT-2 really enhances that pedal, just drive the tube gently and reduce the pedal's gain a couple notches.

Comment

I think it's more just how you set it up with all the knobs at play. IMO the MT-2 into the front can be better than the pedal on it's own as a preamp, but it also adds much more complexity to adjustments by having two sets of knobs that will overlap each other. Using a 12ax7-stage right after the MT-2 really enhances that pedal, just drive the tube gently and reduce the pedal's gain a couple notches.
          Right. Agree with the added set of EQ controls for more shaping of the pedal's tone. 12 AX7 is what I love
          Cool thing is my Orange head sports 3 12 AX7's and one 12 AT7 (ECC81) for the FX loop so its an all valve signal path.

Comment

Just like power amps, some amps preamp sections are just either mediocre at taking/interpreting pedals, or just bad at it. You need to determine what sounds best to you.
            Again, sometimes...results will vary as the main variables change.
            I also believe your amp needs to have a serial loop in order to use preamp pedals.
            Last edited by Van Noord; 08-31-2018, 03:46 AM.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
              Just like power amps, some amps preamp sections are just either mediocre at taking/interpreting pedals, or just bad at it. You need to determine what sounds best to you.
              Again, sometimes...results will vary as the main variables change.
              I also believe your amp needs to have a serial loop in order to use preamp pedals.
              Yip, subjective.

I believe my amps have serial loops - Orange #4 and Marshall 6100LM... could be wrong.

Comment

I'm not sure the loop-type matters if one is going guitar into pedals then into the amp's return.
                The blend on a parallel loop is between the send and return, so going straight into the return should bypass that and give 100% "wet" tone.
                Unless there's more to it than I'm seeing.

Comment

I'm just getting into pedals after 30 years of tune head only. Sounds like a cool pedal to try.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    I'm just getting into pedals after 30 years of tune head only. Sounds like a cool pedal to try.
                    What type of player are you mate? Genre I mean

Comment

I'm not sure the loop-type matters if one is going guitar into pedals then into the amp's return.
                      The blend on a parallel loop is between the send and return, so going straight into the return should bypass that and give 100% "wet" tone.
                      Unless there's more to it than I'm seeing.
                      OK cool. I have yet to experiment with the pedal in the loop using this method of the return only.

Comment

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
                        OK cool. I have yet to experiment with the pedal in the loop using this method of the return only.
                        But don't quote me on that lol. (about the loop)
                        I've only tried it a couple times (one being the ML-2) and really hated not having more EQ, but some of these total preamp pedals might be killers like that.

Comment

But don't quote me on that lol. (about the loop)
                          I've only tried it a couple times (one being the ML-2) and really hated not having more EQ, but some of these total preamp pedals might be killers like that.
                          Don't worry I won't quote you on that

Comment

I have it and yes it can be a lot of gain, I hardly set the gain knob past 12 o'clock. My complain is it very mid scooped, it used to get lost in the mix in front of a Roland Cube 40XL. I have not used it again in a band context but I bet it can sound better if using my Boss GE-7 and adding a good dose of mids.
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                              I have it and yes it can be a lot of gain, I hardly set the gain knob past 12 o'clock. My complain is it very mid scooped, it used to get lost in the mix in front of a Roland Cube 40XL. I have not used it again in a band context but I bet it can sound better if using my Boss GE-7 and adding a good dose of mids.
                              I can agree with the amount of gain. About the scooped nature too but I run my amp's mids at about 12 o'clock or higher than dial in the pedal accordingly. It is a specific kind of metal sound as well so it should be used sparingly depending on what you're going for. sounds very good when set accordingly though.

Comment

I found that is actually is a very good distortion, for practicing alone. I had one at one time, specifically to sound more like my Triple Rectifier but in my room at home. It did great. I decided to try it with the band the next time we practiced and my guitar disappeared. Everything was mush. Granted, I never intended to really use it for that purpose, I was just curious. And I did not run it as a preamp as many have said here, only in front of the clean channel. Perhaps I would have had a different experience.
                                Originally posted by Rockstar216
                                Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Working...
                                X