How To Improve "Boom-Chucka" Rythmn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Improve "Boom-Chucka" Rythmn?

I'm learning how to do boom chucks rhythm for some Johnny Cash songs I want to learn on acoustic. The trouble is, there just seems to be too many strings ringing out, but when I palm mute it just sounds wrong.

Any tips or tricks to get me to sound better?

Re: How To Improve "Boom-Chucka" Rythmn?

Palm mute more lightly. That’s how it’s done. Plus don’t mute all the strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mute with fretting hand also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I like a thinner pick for stuff like that, too. Maybe a .73mm.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Add some bow-chicka-wow-wow
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            That's how it's done. This is also the key to playing Chuck Berry style. You need to play rhythm with your fretting hand as well. NO PALM MUTING.
            -
            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

You also don’t necessarily need to hit ALL of the strings for the chucka-chuckas.
              Some economy of motion will help clean it up.

Comment

Yep left hand as stated above. Also, if you really want to get tight yet loose with that sryle of rhythm, check out some videos on gypsy jazz or manouche style rhythm guitar.
                Watching my students i reckon one of the most common technical mistakes is rotating the wrist while strumming also combined and compounded with how the pick is held. Holding the pick correctly allows you to hold it loosely and relaxed and still have the benefit of it not rotating out of position while you strum.
                Two benefits will flow from correctly holding the pick and not pronating your wrist: 1 you will strike all the strings with equal velocity giving a bright snappy and even sound to all the notes in your chord. 2 you can boomchuka all night long without fatigue and get deep in the pocket and have people dancing.
                Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-02-2018, 04:07 PM.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Here's the real way. In the early days, John would put a playing card between his acoustic guitar strings and that would provide the "Chucka" part. He would just strum the strings as you stated, to make the BOOM-CHUCKA sound. That is the part that people always forget. The rest of it was up to Luther on guitar. Here is a lesson of mine that will get you there the best way to get what you are looking for if you are just doing a one guitar thing. Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qn3brNur8o

Comment

Good to see you , Scott
                    Welcome to the forum
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                      An often neglected technique. I was going to say that but didn’t feel like explaining it. Lol

I do it all the time on bass when I play with a pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Grove View Post
                        Here's the real way. In the early days, John would put a playing card between his acoustic guitar strings and that would provide the "Chucka" part. He would just strum the strings as you stated, to make the BOOM-CHUCKA sound. That is the part that people always forget. The rest of it was up to Luther on guitar. Here is a lesson of mine that will get you there the best way to get what you are looking for if you are just doing a one guitar thing. Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qn3brNur8o
                        Not to derail this thread, but it's nice to see someone on my side of the tonewood debate.

As for your video, I have never considered using hammer-ons in my Johnny Cash type playing, but I will start now. It's these small things that take the pros a level higher than the rest of us.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

cool video.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                          X