Practice bass amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice bass amp

I have two basses, but I've never had a bass amp. For guitar, practice amps (low wattage, solid state or modeling, 8" speaker) don't have the ass that a real amp has, but it still sounds like a guitar. I don't remember the models (and it's been awhile), but the bass practice amps I've tried don't sound any better than plugging into my 15 watt Line 6 Spider.

Anybody have a recommendation?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Practice bass amp

Bass stuff is generally done at 3 - 10x the wattage of the the guitarist you play with.

So just realize you're looking at bass amps in the 50 to 150 watt range and things will make more sense

Also, serious bass gear generally has 10"s and 15"'s. A 115 or a 210 will usually be 150-200 watts and be a bit overkill, so you're looking for a 110 (or the rare 112 rig).

Anything with 8" speakers should be ignored like the plague
    Last edited by Adieu; 08-31-2018, 11:07 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

When I'm practicing bass at home, I don't even use an amp. AmpliTube on the iPhone, Ampeg SVT model, iRig attachment with it plugged right in to my mixer and it's perfect for late night practice without blasting out the rest of the house. I use the mixer because I run my laptop to it and play along with songs. Can set the perfect mix that way. Sounds way better than any small bass practice amp I've tried out too.

Comment

So maybe something like this? https://www.musicgoroundgahanna.com/...s-amp-50-watts

Erik- Maybe you're right, and might consider a similar rig, albeit with headphones.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I use a nice pair of Skullcandy headphones off the mixer. Works for me. If I needed to, I'd use that setup at a gig without hesitation.

Comment

I picked up a Peavey Micro Bass used in a Mom and Pop for $50. The thing sounds great for 20 watts through an 8 inch speaker. Plenty of bottom and range, I also use it a keyboard amp. You can find them online at the usual sites used for around the same cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              Anything with 8" speakers should be ignored like the plague
              I have to disagree here–the SWR LA-8 practice amp sounds killer for practice and is awesome for plugging into the computer for recording.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                I use a nice pair of Skullcandy headphones off the mixer. Works for me. If I needed to, I'd use that setup at a gig without hesitation.
                Why mess with stuff like skullcandy when AKG has $19 & $29 over ear cheapie monitors on sale every holiday?

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                  I have to disagree here–the SWR LA-8 practice amp sounds killer for practice and is awesome for plugging into the computer for recording.
                  Uhm if youre not using the speaker it doesnt count lol

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                    Why mess with stuff like skullcandy when AKG has $19 & $29 over ear cheapie monitors on sale every holiday?
                    I tried those AKG over ear. Sounded like crap compared to my over ear Skullcandy.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                      Those LA amps are great. I tried all three once and liked the LA-12 the best.

Someone gave me this little Fender amp. It sounds very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Peavey TNT series. Line 6 Lowdown or the Fender Rumbles. Or Hartke or Gallien Kruger.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

The Fender Rumble 3 Series is killer. The 40W for true practice, 100W for jamming too.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I use a mackie thump 12 when I actually play bass at home. I have a MXR DI pedal for gigs that I can run into the Mackie or even just the bass into the Mackie.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Peavey TNT series. Line 6 Lowdown or the Fender Rumbles. Or Hartke or Gallien Kruger.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                              Huh.

Ive always found GK's to sound atrocious. Had a GK Backline 210 that I bought for like $100 and hated the dang thing sooo much.

Go Hartke, Carvin, or Peavey for SS bass amplification.

Comment

Working...
                              X