Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Gibson Lineup

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I remember a company that did a PCB, it had options like that. DIPS for Split/Parallel/Partial Split, Phase, Series/Parallel, then DIPS for modern/50’s, Cap value and maybe even a taper switch? The luddites hate PCBs, but that’s a lot of useful mods by simply removing the back cover.
    That's just dumbfoundly smart and simple. I wonder why no guitar manufacturer hasn't yet implemented same idea to their product.

Combine that with quick connect pickups and you practically never need to redo the wiring in your guitar!

No I know how I'll wire my guitars from now on.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Do you guys remember the Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe Plus? It came with “personality cards” that allowed you to change the wiring. This was in 2014 and I think they just discontinued it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
        That's just dumbfoundly smart and simple. I wonder why no guitar manufacturer hasn't yet implemented same idea to their product.

Combine that with quick connect pickups and you practically never need to redo the wiring in your guitar!

No I know how I'll wire my guitars from now on.
        Yet when Gibson did both last year, it was met with rotten responses.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

As guitarists, we don't really need huge innovation with our instruments... just quality.

After all, how much has the violin changed in how many hundreds of years? Or the tuba? etc

Comment

As guitarists, we don't really need huge innovation with our instruments... just quality.

After all, how much has the violin changed in how many hundreds of years? Or the tuba? etc
            PREACH IT, MY BROTHER!
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I like the idea of being able to switch wiring options but I’m still not sold on the pcb boards and non-ease of pickup changes.

That said, I have coil split push/pulls in my LP and NEVER use them. The extra options are nice but I really don’t think that I, personally would be inclined to use many of them.
              A recording situation would probably be a different story though.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

If all you want is standard quality instrument, sure.

For me it's the ultimate versatility of electric guitar sets it apart other instruments. I want to tweak mine exactly how I want it. And have spent far, far too many hours testing, modding, testing, rethinking etc... the wiring schemes.

If I device one wiring I can simply drop in, then use dip switches in trem cavity for instance, to tweak it to work in that particular case... That's just nobrainer option.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  I like the idea of being able to switch wiring options but I’m still not sold on the pcb boards and non-ease of pickup changes.

That said, I have coil split push/pulls in my LP and NEVER use them. The extra options are nice but I really don’t think that I, personally would be inclined to use many of them.
                  A recording situation would probably be a different story though.
                  I like the dual-humbucker 4-knob layout of a Les Paul and have thought about adding coil splits... despite the fact that >90% of the time I'm running the bridge pickup wide open.

It's good to have options though, especially if they don't hurt the usability in any way and add minimal cost. I imagine there's a fair number of people who've bought a guitar with push/pull pots and not realized for awhile. That's a good mod IMO.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                    If all you want is standard quality instrument, sure.

For me it's the ultimate versatility of electric guitar sets it apart other instruments. I want to tweak mine exactly how I want it. And have spent far, far too many hours testing, modding, testing, rethinking etc... the wiring schemes.

If I device one wiring I can simply drop in, then use dip switches in trem cavity for instance, to tweak it to work in that particular case... That's just nobrainer option.
                    Well sure. Get a quality instrument, then mod the hell out of it if ya like.

But we don't need "huge innovation" crap like Gibson's Firebird X, for instance.

Comment

• Re: 2019 Gibson Lineup

Improvements are typically welcome, but "improvement" doesn't necessarily mean "innovation" or vice-versa.

Take something that already works, and make it work better.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                        Well sure. Get a quality instrument, then mod the hell out of it if ya like.

But we don't need "huge innovation" crap like Gibson's Firebird X, for instance.
                        I completely agree. I was referring to strictly about switching between simple passive circuits.

Comment

forget the push/pulls and mini dips...
                          typically only one pickup is used at a time...rather than two or three pickups hard mounted to the guitar, why not have one really, really good pickup mounted on a track...it could be moved to the precise location for optimal tone...upgrade possibilities could include easy swap track mount pickups...just in case the really, really good pickup needs to be a different shade of really, really good...
                          Gibson is obviously looking for wacky innovation...that is my contribution to the cause...
                          Last edited by justFred; 09-12-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                            forget the push/pulls and mini toggles...
                            typically only one pickup is used at a time...rather than two or three pickups hard mounted to the guitar, why not have one really, really good pickup mounted on a track...it could be moved to the precise location for optimal tone...upgrade possibilities could include easy swap track mount pickups...just in case the really, really good pickup needs to be a different shade of really, really good...
                            Gibson is obviously looking for wacky innovation...that is my contribution to the cause...
                            I vaguely remember somebody inventing this. Possibly in the late 80’s early 90’s. Iirc, it never caught on. Something tells me George Lynch was involved...?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              I vaguely remember somebody inventing this. Possibly in the late 80’s early 90’s. Iirc, it never caught on. Something tells me George Lynch was involved...?
                              As far as I remember The Westone rail bass had a sliding pickup, not removable though.
                              It was a headless Steinberger-esque 24 fretter.
                              It was said to be a decent instrument but did not catch on.

Comment

I had a look at some of the LP models in a local store and walked away disappointed.
                                They had about 8 different flame top LPs.
                                One had a rather poor match on its top despite its £3500 asking price and another had a small knot in its grain on the lower half and not on its upper half.
                                There was a great looking black SG with small scratchplate and trapezoid inlays there that I liked.
                                To be honest I would sooner go for a bespoke Gordon Smith single cut over a Gibson any day of the week, a very comparable guitar with your own choice of woods/fittings/neck and body thickness plus a substantial saving.

Comment

Working...
                                X