Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Gibson Lineup

Originally posted by justFred View Post
    It's a hodgepodge...perhaps a bunch of pics taped to the wall....Henry J closed his eyes and threw darts..
    vs. Fender
    A logical progression...Fender Strat series-es for Example: Player; Classic; Deluxe; Special; Elite; American Original and then Artist (includes a progression within the classification).
    You forgot Professional.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      You forgot Professional.
      And Standard.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        And Standard.
        Standard is no more. Player replaced it.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

2019 Gibson Lineup

Standard is no more. Player replaced it.
          Unless you're talking about American Standard in which case Professional was the one that replaced it.

And we haven't even mentioned the unique Japan lines or quirky LE things they do from time to time line pawn shop or now parallel universe.

So yeah, Fender's progression is waaaaay more simple than Gibson as we can see...

Comment

You forgot Professional.
            it doesn't fit/overlaps the progression...ergo, there is not a progression...so left it out...busted for tampering with the data...

Comment

What would you guys like to see?

Ignore price because we all agree there.
              They're getting lapped by Asian-made guitars with modern features and finishes, cool tops, thin necks, nicer fretboard materials, more body contours and cutaways, more bridge options, stainless frets and dare I mention more consistent build quality? All at better prices (sorry, can't ignore that point)

Gibson could offer similar options at a fair premium and stay ahead of the pack.

Naturally, they should keep a proper "core" line with all the classic appointments and options people clang for...even charge a bit more for them. Heck, PRS does

But, seriously, taking a model with humbuckers, swapping in a pair of P-90s, painting it plain black and charging $100-$200 more than a year ago isn't innovation. And if USA quality control doesn't compare to import standards, then what are you really paying for?

I like Gibson, but they're not getting me excited with this lineup...not even a mini
              Last edited by Masta' C; 09-05-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                But, seriously, taking a model with humbuckers, swapping in a pair of P-90s, painting it plain black and charging $100-$200 more than a year ago isn't innovation.
                Which model are you referring to? The only model with P90s I see is the Junior DC, which can be had on Sweetwater for ~$600 less than last years Junior.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

See, I don't think they could come up with options that rival the Asian makers. Their core audience would freak out and they still couldn't compete on price (USA wages vs the world). Their audience freaks on details you can't even see, like the PC boards. Coming up with new, sleeker sexier shapes and neck sizes isn't one of the things Gibson can do.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    See, I don't think they could come up with options that rival the Asian makers. Their core audience would freak out and they still couldn't compete on price (USA wages vs the world). Their audience freaks on details you can't even see, like the PC boards. Coming up with new, sleeker sexier shapes and neck sizes isn't one of the things Gibson can do.
                    I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the PCB boards and the customizability that the dip switches offer. If they made every single part quick connect, a la EMG, I would quite like it.

Comment

Which model are you referring to? The only model with P90s I see is the Junior DC, which can be had on Sweetwater for ~$600 less than last years Junior.
                      It's not the same guitar. 2019 Jr. Tribute DC has a maple neck and thinner, satin finish. It's also all top routed with a different pickguard so they could avoid the back route and mount the pots in the pickguard. Whether it's a better value anyway is up to the buyer to decide but again, it's not quite an apples to apple comparison with last years model Jr.

Comment

I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the PCB boards and the customizability that the dip switches offer. If they made every single part quick connect, a la EMG, I would quite like it.
                        I don't mind it either. I especially like DIP switches that allow you to change wiring on the fly. But I have read so many posts on so many forums that the first thing people do is rip that stuff out and wire them the way it was done in 1959. Strange.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I don't mind it either. I especially like DIP switches that allow you to change wiring on the fly. But I have read so many posts on so many forums that the first thing people do is rip that stuff out and wire them the way it was done in 1959. Strange.
                          The only problem I had with the board was pickup swaps. It ended up being more work wiring those little molex connectors on pickups than it was to just solder. Besides, those boards bring a quick $50 or more on ebay.

Comment

I tend to agree. Gibson (and to a lesser extent Fender) are both inundated with the same old things they’ve been making for 50-60 years. There’s no need to get rid of the old, but neither has innovated anything in years. The robo-tuners, for instance, are a great idea. Maybe Gibson’s die-hard “fans” should pull their heads out and stop whining about everything. There’s no reason in the world that a company like theirs couldn’t offer products for the traditionalists AND the people looking for something new and exciting.

Technology has progressed... what possible reason could someone WANT outdated systems except to corksniff?
                            Originally posted by The Commodores?
                            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                              The only problem I had with the board was pickup swaps. It ended up being more work wiring those little molex connectors on pickups than it was to just solder. Besides, those boards bring a quick $50 or more on ebay.
                              My experience exactly.

Comment

2019 Gibson Lineup

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                                I tend to agree. Gibson (and to a lesser extent Fender) are both inundated with the same old things they’ve been making for 50-60 years. There’s no need to get rid of the old, but neither has innovated anything in years. The robo-tuners, for instance, are a great idea. Maybe Gibson’s die-hard “fans” should pull their heads out and stop whining about everything. There’s no reason in the world that a company like theirs couldn’t offer products for the traditionalists AND the people looking for something new and exciting.

Technology has progressed... what possible reason could someone WANT outdated systems except to corksniff?
                                I agree that the robo tuners are a great “idea”. However, in reality they don’t work correctly.
                                I could have never gigged with my LP Special with those tuners. They aren’t accurate enough. Plus the brass (and titanium) nut they offered caused a lot of binding in the strings.
                                No sooner would you get the guitar in tune, hit a couple of chords or worse, bend a note and it’s out of tune again.
                                Great in idea, poor in execution.

I replaced mine with regular Grover tuners and got a tusq nut for it. Now it stays in tune as good as any of my other guitars.

Comment

Working...
                                X