Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gibson Lineup

tonewood instigator

Default Re: 2019 Gibson Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    I tend to agree. Gibson (and to a lesser extent Fender) are both inundated with the same old things they’ve been making for 50-60 years. There’s no need to get rid of the old, but neither has innovated anything in years. The robo-tuners, for instance, are a great idea. Maybe Gibson’s die-hard “fans” should pull their heads out and stop whining about everything. There’s no reason in the world that a company like theirs couldn’t offer products for the traditionalists AND the people looking for something new and exciting.

Technology has progressed... what possible reason could someone WANT outdated systems except to corksniff?
    Robo-tuners are cool, I don't care what anybody says. They could be a bit easier to use though, I would be fine if it just had standard tuning in a couple of keys and a button for each of them, and maybe a drop d switch that affected all the tunings.
    Once I had myself a million, now I've only got a dime.
    Difference don't seem quite as bad today.
    With a nickel or a million I was searchin' all the time
    For something that I never lost or left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I agree that the robo tuners are a great ďideaĒ. However, in reality they donít work correctly.
    I could have never gigged with my LP Special with those tuners. They arenít accurate enough. Plus the brass (and titanium) nut they offered caused a lot of binding in the strings.
    No sooner would you get the guitar in tune, hit a couple of chords or worse, bend a note and itís out of tune again.
    Great in idea, poor in execution.

I replaced mine with regular Grover tuners and got a tusq nut for it. Now it stays in tune as good as any of my other guitars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    Robo-tuners are cool, I don't care what anybody says. They could be a bit easier to use though, I would be fine if it just had standard tuning in a couple of keys and a button for each of them, and maybe a drop d switch that affected all the tunings.
    Granted... the robo-tuners werenít what they had hoped for, but they also didnít handle the pushback well. Instead of abandoning the idea they should have come up with fixes to the tuners themselves and/or the nut. Once again, their ďsupportersĒ whined so they backed off into their little habit of same-olí-same-olí.

Still a great innovation... Iíd love to have something like that on EVERY guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

after further review and consideration conclusion is that this is the best lineup for Gibson 2019...
    Gibson knows their guitar business better than anyone...according to sources available: they are profitable and growing their business in their market segment...
    reportedly the lineup was carefully reviewed by a committee of girls and mandolin players (perhaps they came up with the tangerine Les Paul Studio)...this is where the growth is according to studies or at lease a quote from Fender's CEO...
    regarding quality issues that seem primarily related to poor set up on receipt of guitar...
    there are three major customers:
    I.ones that have been playing guitars for years...these typically would go through a set up on any new guitar they buy so Gibson's set up doesn't matter;
    II.ones who are at a skill level that they can't tell the difference anyway...
    III.the small group who find this a problem and go storming around the internet claiming Gibson is a mess and doesn't know how to build good guitars anymore...
    as for robo-tuners...it seemed like a good idea at the time...but honestly, if you have been playing for some time, have good quality tuners/hardware (which Gibson does provide) and strings does the G string going a little flat occasionally really require a robotic system to keep you in tune???
    Last edited by justFred; 09-05-2018 at 08:53 AM.

The solution to Gibson and their blatant BS is so simple, yet so difficult:

If only everyone would agree to not purchase anything by Gibson for one year, then things would change.

But as long as they have a captive audience, they'll do whatever the **** they please.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

The robo tuners are not my thing, but mostly because I know they will break in 10 years and it will be impossible to get parts for them. Besides, they are an inelegant solution. But I wouldn't buy a robo tuner guitar with the intention of ripping them out. That seems like throwing money away.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    Technology has progressed... what possible reason could someone WANT outdated systems except to corksniff?
    Technically I agree, but honestly the number of outdated systems that were/are actually much better than what replaced them has gone through the roof in past 15 years.

Just look at computers for prime example. Software developers haven't been publishing anything but crap through this decade. And it's just going worse.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

The types of people who buy $4000 guitars are not the types of people who *need* robotic tuners

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    The robo tuners are not my thing, but mostly because I know they will break in 10 years and it will be impossible to get parts for them. Besides, they are an inelegant solution. But I wouldn't buy a robo tuner guitar with the intention of ripping them out. That seems like throwing money away.
    It wasnít my intention to do that, I just hated them.
    FWIW I bought my Grover tuners for $65 and sold the G/Force for $80.

Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar

The robot tuners lock up when the battery runs down.... I mean solid. No tuning AT ALL unless there is power for the unit.

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Open lane View Post
    The types of people who buy $4000 guitars are not the types of people who *need* robotic tuners
    They are probably lawyers and dentists. Maybe they do.

Isn't the company that made them suing Gibson some outrageous amount? Good luck getting parts now.

Mojo's Minions

Isn't the company that made them suing Gibson some outrageous amount? Good luck getting parts now.
    Tronical is the company. 50 million dollar lawsuit claiming unpaid licensing fees and breach of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Darg1911 View Post
    Tronical is the company. 50 million dollar lawsuit claiming unpaid licensing fees and breach of contract.
    Yikes. That isn't cool.

Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar

Isn't the company that made them suing Gibson some outrageous amount?
    Yes. Gibson was their only customer of any stature. Tronical claims breach of contract (concerning future orders).

My take? Their gravy train was coming to an end, so a lawsuit is a last ditch attempt at squeezing a final payday out of Gibson.

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

See, I didn't even know that was the progression of Fender models. I still think it could be reduced by 2 or 3.
    You mean like Studio, Standard, Custom ??????? I'll add a 4th - "Artist". Billy G, Slash, Ace, etc....

Oh - sorry - I see, you were talking about Fender

I get the low - mid - high end 3 level. I like a version between mid and high where they put funky switching etc....like Mid Plus level
    Last edited by Aceman; 09-08-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I havenít read through this entire thread, but I havenít seen any mention of the switching that is new for this years models.
    From what I understand there are internal dip switches which allow you to configure the wiring in a multitude of ways.
    In/out of phase, coil splitting etc.

I think this is possibly Gibsonís best idea to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I havenít read through this entire thread, but I havenít seen any mention of the switching that is new for this years models.
    From what I understand there are internal dip switches which allow you to configure the wiring in a multitude of ways.
    In/out of phase, coil splitting etc.

I think this is possibly Gibsonís best idea to date.
    What?! Now THAT would be something. Where did you read that?

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by Blille View Post
    Their HP 2 line has it, I can't speak of any other models though.
    Once I had myself a million, now I've only got a dime.
    Difference don't seem quite as bad today.
    With a nickel or a million I was searchin' all the time
    For something that I never lost or left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Blille View Post
    I saw a thread on another forum.

I remember a company that did a PCB, it had options like that. DIPS for Split/Parallel/Partial Split, Phase, Series/Parallel, then DIPS for modern/50’s, Cap value and maybe even a taper switch? The luddites hate PCBs, but that’s a lot of useful mods by simply removing the back cover.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!