No announcement yet.

help pleas...why did this turn to mush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help pleas...why did this turn to mush?

2 amps(PRRI and home built SE KT66, both cranked up to overdrive), 1 Boss RV-3 pedal(on the SE KT66...got the idea of using two mics on a 3 speaker thread ...so two mics...played a mish mash of different stuff hoping the variety would add detail to the two seperate amps...it came out all mushed together...any ideas would be appreciated...it is an MP3 shared link on a google drive in hopes that the quality is better than youTube:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KcX...ew?usp=sharing

So your chain is guitar to RV3 then split into two amps and recorded in one take? Two mics on the KT66, one in the PRRI? (Can’t hear recording yet, hope to follow up).
    Last edited by Blille; 09-10-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Re: help pleas...why did this turn to mush?

guitar split...1 direct to PRRI with reverb up...1 to RV3 then to KT66...1 mic each on PRRI and KT66...

Comment

Just heard it. Does it sound good in person or do you have phase issues between the amps? Maybe the RV3 flips the phase?

If you want to sound big I would try to add short delay (30ms) to one and pan to opposite sides to see if you like it. I would also try with/without RV3 in the chain.

From there then you can put them closer, emphasize specific bands you like more /less in each amp etc

Comment

Sounds pretty good, turn down the bass and it will clear up some...or a lot.
          *******Please check out some of my songs:
          https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

Originally posted by jtees4 View Post
            Sounds pretty good, turn down the bass and it will clear up some...or a lot.
            that is the SE KT66...has .1 coupling caps like the 5E3...so a little bassy by nature....no tone control...could change out the caps to .047 or .033s...but maybe just work on getting one amp at a time to sound good...think this mic stuff is too complicated for me...
            thanks for the input!!!

Comment

My assessment is that the frequency range of the two amps is stepping on each other. That's why it sounds like mush. Try hard panning the amps - one left and one right.
              -
              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I'll try to listen to the track later, but this helps understand why a soundman would not be willing to use multiple mics. Mic'ing is an art unto itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                  My assessment is that the frequency range of the two amps is stepping on each other. That's why it sounds like mush. Try hard panning the amps - one left and one right.
                  Yes, try this. Cool playing though, kind of Cantrell-ish to my ears.

Comment

I agree with the above, it needs separation, try panning left and right, maybe not 100% each side, maybe start ~75/25.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      I agree with the above, it needs separation, try panning left and right, maybe not 100% each side, maybe start ~75/25.
                      I agree with your initial assertion...2 mics is an art that takes a very special skill mixed in...well beyond my abilities...going for plan II one mic and two very different sounding sources...

Comment

No, I said mic'ing is an art, figuring out how to get a good tone with one mic is the best place to start.

I am confused again, if you have 2 different sources, I would use 2 mics, or record them one at a time, otherwise you are more trying to organize bleed. Again, work with one mic and one source at a time until you get that down.

I am not an expert or engineer, but I can get acceptable results. What kind of mics are you using? A good place to start, especially if I have to set up quick with a SM57 or similar, is the mic 2 fingers away from the speaker, pointing about midway between the center and the edge. From there you can move the mic in small increments. Closer to the center will get brighter, closer to the outside will get darker. (There is a lot more to it than that, but it's a starting point).

If you want to know how to mic your guitar amplifier, here's a how-to guide for getting the sound you desire.

In our quest for the ultimate electric guitar sound, SOS tested favourite recording techniques from over 40 top-flight producers and engineers. Hear for yourself the results that amazed us.

Comment

intent is to use two amps together for one section of tune to have big sound...have A/B switch...thought getting both would be easy...not...will work on getting 1 mic to work then move on to 2 mic set up...nothing is simple when it comes to this music stuff...it's like math or something...

Comment

Im assuming this to get a good recorded sound, not a live sound.

You could try double tracking. Play through one amp while recording, then play through other amp and record that. Then pan the two tracks.

Comment

Guitarists - as I learned back in the early 2Ks - if you want to sound good on "tape", you gotta learn some sound engineering.

It's a whole 'nother "instrument" to learn and by far the most expensive one if you really get into it.

Comment

Working...
                              X