banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring HSH with one DPDT switch for a split -- wiring, phase (diagram incl.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring HSH with one DPDT switch for a split -- wiring, phase (diagram incl.)

Hey guys, I have an Ibanez HSS AZ that currently has a Suhr Aldrich bridge and the stock Hyperion singles in the SS positions. I'm going with:

Aldrich bridge
    Dimarzio True Velvet middle (RWRP) *already own this one
    Dimarzio Satch Track mini humbucker *should arrive later this month

My guitar already has a dpdt switch in it, but it is covered by the hyperion molex type connector.

I want to have the standard HSH 5-way, plus have the switch split both the humbuckers.

I emailed Dimarzio, and they just had this diagram, which was for a push/pull pot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RG2570ppsplitn&bC.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	5849132

When I asked for a dpdt switch-specific diagram, they said:
    "We don’t currently have the diagram on file, but the switch attached to a push/pull pot is a standard DPDT switch, and the connections are the same."

Is this the case? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it being different units. So in the DM diagram, there is a push/pull tone pot. Would that middle wire of the push/pull thing still go to the tone pot's ground? Usually I ground at the bridge...does it matter?

--
    Question 2: Phase

So I have 2 Dimarzio's..I imagine they will work together. I also have the Suhr bridge. The Suhr pickups are to my knowledge the same phase as Duncans. Does that mean I need to flip wires to make it in phase? (Please keep in mind the middle is RWRP.

THANK YOU!

Re: Wiring HSH with one DPDT switch for a split -- wiring, phase (diagram incl.)

Gotta be people here that know about this?

Comment

Re: Wiring HSH with one DPDT switch for a split -- wiring, phase (diagram incl.)

Bump

Comment

When a signal goes to ground it just goes to ground. It will not matter if you ground to the tone pot so long as the tone pot is also grounded to the bridge (and the same for volume).
        As for DPDT switches, a push pull DPDT has the same action as a levered DPDT. On a push pull the action of lifting and lowering the control knob acts the same as throwing a lever.
        I am assuming the switch you are planning to use is a 2 position on/on type.

As for phase, I am no expert. But...
        This link to a page at GuitarElectronics.com may help: https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar...e-color-codes/
        I believe that if you wire both humbuckers in accordance with these wiring colour codes they should be in phase with each other.
        That should leave the RWRP single out of phase with either (I think).

BTW, is there a reason for not swapping out the existing push pull for a more usable one, they don't cost much, and there would then be no reason to drill the guitar for a switch. If you ever need to sell it, original spec is usually best, and you get to keep the Dimarzios for a future project.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyMonkey View Post
          When a signal goes to ground it just goes to ground. It will not matter if you ground to the tone pot so long as the tone pot is also grounded to the bridge (and the same for volume).
          As for DPDT switches, a push pull DPDT has the same action as a levered DPDT. On a push pull the action of lifting and lowering the control knob acts the same as throwing a lever.
          I am assuming the switch you are planning to use is a 2 position on/on type.

As for phase, I am no expert. But...
          This link to a page at GuitarElectronics.com may help: https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar...e-color-codes/
          I believe that if you wire both humbuckers in accordance with these wiring colour codes they should be in phase with each other.
          That should leave the RWRP single out of phase with either (I think).

BTW, is there a reason for not swapping out the existing push pull for a more usable one, they don't cost much, and there would then be no reason to drill the guitar for a switch. If you ever need to sell it, original spec is usually best, and you get to keep the Dimarzios for a future project.

Thank you very much for answering my questions and for the link.

As for the switch, actually the AZ series comes stock with a switch. I don't have a pull/push.

Comment

OK. No problem.

Comment

Working...
            X