Advice on a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on a new amp

I would say it is time for a Fender Twin. Yes they are loud but they have a master volume to tame the volume. They are also a great pedal platform they sound great with any modulation and echo. They take to overdrive and boost better than dare I say any amp out there. Depending on the stomp you can go from slight break up to screaming metal. They are big but still small enough to fit in most cars. The extra headroom you have will be handy if you find yourself playing outdoor gigs or bigger rooms. Keep in mind the Twin was the most recorded amp in the 60's and 70's. The arena rock bands used walls of Marshalls on stage but most recording studios of that era had a trusty twin as a house amp. The Fender Twin is the tone of most of your favorite recordings. There is a picture out there of Jimmy Page recording at Headley Grange with a Twin, Electric Ladyland had Twins.

Comment

Appreciate all the advice and replies guys, thank you!

Today I visited one of my fave local stores and they had a good selection of Fender amps on hand - HRD IV, a HRD Ltd ed with a Jensen P12N, and an original 68 Vibrolux. All sounded great really, but there was a notable difference between the two HRD's, and then a bigger difference again when I hit the Vibrolux.
      HRD IV - sounded like my Blues Jr only with a fatter bass and warmer mid range. The reverb was less crazy as well. Clean and Drive channels were both really nice, extra drive channel was not great.
      HRD Ltd Ed - vastly similar to the IV, though the bottom end and mids were not quite as warm. Again the 'extra drive' channel was pretty bad.
      Vibrolux - Beautiful cleans and amazing reverb. The dirty tones were not as amazing as the cleans, but still decent. A little 'tighter' than the HRD's if that makes sense.. I had to crank it up to get some dirt out of it too. The price tag counts this out but it was fun to try!

I'd still like to try a reissue 68 Deluxe Reverb, and also a Blues Deluxe. If I can I'd definitely like to try a Peavey Delta Blues as well. I may also rent an old Twin at our next rehearsal.

I'm in no rush so I'll keep posting my notes here.

We'll be playing shows of 30~150 pax, so I think I'm in the ball park in terms of wattage, its just a case of finding cool tones - which I'll probably pull out of any of these amps really!
      Then there's the portability - light weight is high on my agenda.

Comment

The classic side of the Supersonic should be better at the 68 Virbolux vibe than the Hotrods. There are 6L6 Supersonics on the used market to consider as well if you don't think the SS22 will be enough.

Comment

+ 3db speaker sensitivity over the stock speaker turns a 22 watt amp into a 44 watt amp in terms of loudness.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
            + 3db speaker sensitivity over the stock speaker turns a 22 watt amp into a 44 watt amp in terms of loudness.
            Nah that's +10dB

This is more like 22 >> 30w
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              Nah that's +10dB

This is more like 22 >> 30w
              Sorry man, but LPB is correct; double wattage = 3db.

Pete Townsend wanted an amp that was twice as loud as his JTM45, so Jim Marshall made the JTM45/100. If he really wanted to be twice as loud (and not simply have twice the power) he'd actually need 500W to be twice as loud as 50W. (and I know that a JTM45 is more like 35W)

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can also add 3db by doubling speaker count. At the same wattage a 2x12 will be 3db louder than 1x12.
              Last edited by dystrust; 09-17-2018, 03:49 PM.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Good info...I didn’t know that.

Comment

Ah - but does it make us twice as awesome...?

I think a 4x12 would be needed for that. And then if you stack two 4x12's you'll be 3 x as awesome. Its a logarithmic curve...

Comment

Originally posted by AxlOz View Post
                    Hi guys, I've started a project where my trusty Fender Blues Jr simply isn't keeping up. The tone I'm getting through it is good for what we're doing (garage/rock/blues sorta thing - we even use some slide guitar!). So I think I just need a bigger Blues Jr... ?

My offsider plays a Sunn Model T 50w combo and a Rickenbacker 330, which he's getting some big fat juicy tones out of, so I want to hit those higher, raspy, dare I say 'ice pick' tones. Maybe be a tad cleaner than he is too as his tone gets quite woolly. I play a US Std strat.

My initial thoughts were to get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - similar design to the Blues Jr, but 6L6 tubes @ 40w.

Then I saw there's also a Fender Blues Deluxe - also 6L6 @ 40w.

Then today I remembered the Peavey Delta Blues amps, which I've never tried.

Or should I go all out and get a Fender twin? We will be gigging soon so I'd prefer something portable though. The twins are HEAVY...

Anyway, over to you guys, what do yas reckon?
                    Peavey vypyr VIP 3 = stack of Marshalls

Dove has wings of buzzard
                    And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      Sorry man, but LPB is correct; double wattage = 3db.

Pete Townsend wanted an amp that was twice as loud as his JTM45, so Jim Marshall made the JTM45/100. If he really wanted to be twice as loud (and not simply have twice the power) he'd actually need 500W to be twice as loud as 50W. (and I know that a JTM45 is more like 35W)

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can also add 3db by doubling speaker count. At the same wattage a 2x12 will be 3db louder than 1x12.
                      Oh yeah true.... +10db is double VOLUME
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Update!

Today I tried a Ltd Edition Blues Deluxe - it had cream coloured tolex and a Jensen P12Q speaker. Sounded great! Very simliar to the hot rod deluxe tone, but the gain structure was a little easier to dial in, and it didn't get as dirty. I liked that it had a bright switch also. So overall a nice amp that I could definitely enjoy, but there was one drawback - I also tried a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue....
                        That thing was just beautiful and lush. I was in a tiny room so cranking it was painful and I couldn't get it to break up, but my god those clean tones were just amazing. I may be swayed towards one of these now - with an OD pedal for dirt if need be...

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                          Just isn't so.

Comment

Originally posted by AxlOz View Post
                            Update!

Today I tried a Ltd Edition Blues Deluxe - it had cream coloured tolex and a Jensen P12Q speaker. Sounded great! Very simliar to the hot rod deluxe tone, but the gain structure was a little easier to dial in, and it didn't get as dirty. I liked that it had a bright switch also. So overall a nice amp that I could definitely enjoy, but there was one drawback - I also tried a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue....
                            That thing was just beautiful and lush. I was in a tiny room so cranking it was painful and I couldn't get it to break up, but my god those clean tones were just amazing. I may be swayed towards one of these now - with an OD pedal for dirt if need be...
                            Deluxe Reverb is an absolute killer amp! Definitely pricier but a super solid amp with incredible tone.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                              Just isn't so.
                              Be my guest: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

As an example I entered 100db sensitivity, 20W amp, 3ft, and 1 speaker. The output is 113.8db, while changing to 2 speakers results in 116.8db. Going from 2 speakers to 4 results in 119.8db...

With given wattage and speaker sensitivity, it's simple math and the formulas don't lie or change. Doubling speaker count with a given wattage, distance, and sensitivity results in 3db more volume. Physics doesn't care if you agree or not.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I'd say to consider a Pro Reverb, if you can find one. It has more headroom than a Deluxe, but isn't the beast that the Twin is. They aren't as collectible as either (although I like them more than both), so there is a good chance you can find a good price on one.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X