Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Trem System for Squier Strat? Tremolo Questions

Hello,

I've got a Squier Strat from squire's recent contemporary series which I'm quite fond of. My one complaint is the trem system. I hadn't been using the trem for much of my playing because it's not really part of my playing style so I had in fixed, flush with the body. When it was fixed, the hole for the trem arm on the bridge plate didn't align with the hole in the sustain block (which could be partially due to the fact that I put a different sustain block on a while back, but still, they align when the bridge is floating), which bugged me because even if I wanted to use the trem for one song, I'd have to float the bridge again. So I did.

My complaint is that the slightest movement of the arm will give a drastic change in pitch, so I can't even hold on to the arm when I'm playing because inevitably, my picking/strumming/moving my hand will move the bar and noticeably affect the pitch. For example, to drop a note's pitch a whole step, I've only got to move the arm about a centimeter.

What I want to know is why it's that touchy. I know Strats are notorious for having a pretty OK trem system, so I'd assume a Squier, made of cheaper parts would naturally be even OK-er.

Is fixing this problem as simple as putting on new springs? Or will it take as much as getting a whole new trem system (which I have no problem doing, it's a project guitar so I almost want to)? If the latter is the case, does anyone have any suggestions as to which system would work well with a Squire Strat (I don't do any crazy dive bombs, just using the trem to add texture to chords/bends)?

Thanks!

Re: New Trem System for Squier Strat? Tremolo Questions

Strat trem is basically so simple even the cheap ones are usually good for whatever use. Trem bock would be the main thing to upgrade. And possibly saddles.

Trem block should be solid piece with plate. Floating or not can't change the alingment of the hole. Only way to that to change would be if the block screws are loose. If they indeed are, that's easy fix.

Moving a whole step within centimetre sounds normal to me. It just takes practice to hold and move the pitch.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I've upgraded both the trem block and the saddles, the only part of the bridge that's stock is the plate itself. Also, on high end guitars I've played in shops, the tremolo feels much smoother and more fluid, as one would expect it to be. I can't imagine that the current state/functionality of my trem system is how it is for everyone else, or how it should be. Just my 2 cents, thanks.

Comment

Did you check out the block is secured to the plate?

This is regular strat two point trem, right?
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Block screws loose and/or torn out
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I haven't. I suppose the only way to do that would be to remove the saddles and re-intonate, right?

Comment

Youd see it. It wouldnt be perpenducular to the plate
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I went with this one on my ESP LTD ST-213A. Cheap and awesome!

https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/wilkins...me-steel-block
                Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by ElDeguello666 View Post
                  I've upgraded both the trem block and the saddles, the only part of the bridge that's stock is the plate itself. Also, on high end guitars I've played in shops, the tremolo feels much smoother and more fluid, as one would expect it to be. I can't imagine that the current state/functionality of my trem system is how it is for everyone else, or how it should be. Just my 2 cents, thanks.
                  The specific springs you have can also make a difference on how the trem feels.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                  X