No announcement yet.

Jason Becker Perpetual Burn Trembucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Becker Perpetual Burn Trembucker?

My update at post #15.

Our local George's Music closed it's doors yesterday. (Sam Ash moving in.) I scored a bunch of stuff at stoopid prices. The best was a Jason Becker Perpetual Burn trembucker for $20. (A Duncan Rick bass pup and a Red Witch Eve tremolo pedal also for $20 ea.) Can anyone tell me what to expect from this pup? DCR around 13k with an A5 mag. I'm not familiar with Jason's sound. What might this pup compare to?

Thanks all;
    Artie

Click image for larger version

Name:	pups-n-stuff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	5849262
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-03-2018, 06:20 PM.

Re: Jason Becker Perpetual Burn Trembucker?

To me, the Perpetual Burn is like a less powerful (in a good way) JB with more highs in there. Like the JB, it isn't versatile, but what it does, it does well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

More highs than a JB? Wow. Ice-pickey? I know Jason was a metal player, but will this do cleans well? I wonder if we could call this a JB II? (Jason Becker.)

Comment

Hey,

I love the Becker, just be sure to use a 300K (or a 250K pot that reads 250K +) with it. With a 500K pot it is a bit brash and harsh. Set up well with the right pot it's very clear and sits directly between a 59 and a JB. It's aggressive and tight like the 59 and has some great upper mid bark without being a honk like the JB (when in a Les Paul syle guitar). A proper setup is CRITICAL with Becker. I found that 7/64ths bass side and 5/64ths dialed it in well.

Hope that helps

Comment

Thanks Prof. That does help. I'll dial her in properly. Hopefully today.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            More highs than a JB? Wow. Ice-pickey? I know Jason was a metal player, but will this do cleans well? I wonder if we could call this a JB II? (Jason Becker.)
            I didn`t find the PB ice picky at all , great pickup for hard rock and I just eyeballed the height and it took no time to get it set right . FWIW I don`t necessarily find the JB ice picky and thats with using 500k pots for both pickups. YMMV
            Last edited by 51501984; 10-01-2018, 04:48 PM.
            When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Thanks for the info. I didn't get it installed today, but hopefully before the week is over.

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984 View Post
                I didn`t find the PB ice picky at all , great pickup for hard rock and I just eyeballed the height and it took no time to get it set right . FWIW I don`t necessarily find the JB ice picky and thats with using 500k pots for both pickups. YMMV
                Same here on not finding the Becker harsh on the top end. Have one in my 2017 Kiesel DC 135 with the stock 500 K Pot and it works very well. In fact I find the 59/ Custom in the bridge on my Modern Player Tele to be brighter. The Kiesel Becker guitar in fact comes stock with the Becker Perpetual Burn and 500 K pots. Its an articulate mid gain pickup that cleans up well with touch and volume control + splits very well.
                Only decent live clip I can find with the Perpet.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

This demo is pretty accurate from my experiance.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

That sounded good. I need to get this installed into something.

Comment

I have a PB trembucker in my Yamaha Pacifica 311H and it's awesome. I had a cover put on it and I use a 250k tone pot to help tame the highs a bit and it still has plenty of cut and bite to it without being shrill. Great pickup with good output and cuts thru the mix.

Name:	32E596F4-8A92-4943-90BE-0F78EC9EFAB0.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5809915

Comment

off topic but notice you got the eve tremolo. Have you tried it much yet?
                        love mine. Not too intense of a pulse and small footprint, love the rechargeable battery.

Comment

Let me know when you try it out! It's on my shortlist of pickups to get (most likely for my RG550)
                          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                            off topic but notice you got the eve tremolo. Have you tried it much yet?
                            love mine. Not too intense of a pulse and small footprint, love the rechargeable battery.
                            Not yet. The rechargeable thing took me by surprise. I let it charge overnight, and will give it a spin today.

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                            Let me know when you try it out! It's on my shortlist of pickups to get (most likely for my RG550)
                            Today for sure.

Comment

Got the Jason Becker installed this afternoon into my Rockmaster.

Name:	Jason-01.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	5809943

I'm a little surprised by this. I was expecting an "over-the-top" burner. This thing is clean. Too clean. (Sung to the tune of: "It's quiet. Too quiet." Just before the zombies attack.)

It's not "sterile". It's oddly polite. No high-end harshness or brittleness at all. Then I plugged it into the Palladium. This is where this thing lives. It makes this pedal work.

I need to start posting clips.

Artie

P.S. For a trembucker, it lines up perfectly with my hardtail.

Name:	Jason-02.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	5809944
                              Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-03-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X