No announcement yet.

Jason Becker Perpetual Burn Trembucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jason Becker Perpetual Burn Trembucker?

Very cool! Thanks for the review! What is the closest pickup you can compare it to?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's tough. It really doesn't sound like anything else. A long shot would be the PATB-1. Both have that even frequency response.
      But if the PATB-1 is a Fender, the J. Becker would be the Marshall. If that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Got the Jason Becker installed this afternoon into my Rockmaster. I'm a little surprised by this. I was expecting an "over-the-top" burner. This thing is clean. Too clean. (Sung to the tune of: "It's quiet. Too quiet." Just before the zombies attack.)

It's not "sterile". It's oddly polite. No high-end harshness or brittleness at all.
        Pretty much agree exacept that the pickup is to clean. It's clear pretty uncompressed but will get pretty agressive on a high gain amp. Super articulate and clear at gain and sings like crazy but is a mid gain A5 pickup not a really hot super high gain pickup. I plan on dropping another in my Mahogany neck and body Quilt top 2002 Carvin DC 400 with a Sentient in the neck at some point.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

No, I get it, and that helps me understand in my head. Funny thing, is although I can appreciate the talent that Jason Becker has, he always had one of the most irritating tones of the 80s shredders.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            Pretty much agree except that the pickup is too clean.
            And I agree completely with that. But what's cool about this pup is that it's almost perfect for evaluating pedals, amps, and cabs. You're going to hear the sonic signature of whatever you have this plugged into.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              And I agree completely with that. But what's cool about this pup is that it's almost perfect for evaluating pedals, amps, and cabs. You're going to hear the sonic signature of whatever you have this plugged into.
              Sounds like a neutral sounding pickup.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
              "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                Sounds like a neutral sounding pickup.
                Neutral, but not nuetered, if that makes any sense. If I posted a clip, you'd hear the amp that I was plugged into, rather than the pup. IMHO.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PGM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	5809966
                  I've one installed in my '08 Ibby PGM301 with SSL-1 middle and A2P in neck. The guitar is super bright with lots of midrange and PB works pretty well in it with 250k pot. I found it harsh with 500k, at least in this instrument.

The pickup itself is very balanced sounding with incredible articulation even with highest gain settings. Clean tone is pretty neutral with touch of compression and good detail with complex chords. It works well splitted with SSL-1 in the middle position, nice for fingerpicking or funk.

I've swapped the stock A5 magnet to A4, which evens out the highs and fills the mids for better "80s hair metal" tone and tad fuller cleans. With A4 it is more angry sounding and has better detail with distorted tones than stock A5 magnet. I tried it with A8 as well, which boosted the bass and mids and lowered highs compared to A4 mag. A8 also made it feel like high output pickup since it had more output and natural compression.

Comment

Sweet guitar, and nice review. I need to try mine with a 250k pot after reading that. Just to know. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X