SG Special in search of a new bridge PU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG Special in search of a new bridge PU

Hi there! I've grown tired of my SG's 490t. To me, it sounds too mid-focused, honky and - overall - tiny. I'm aiming for Iron Maiden's sound on Killers or Number Of The Beast: crunchy hard rock/metal tone with juicy treble and punch. I've done my share of research and narrowed it down to an SD Custom 8, a Phat Cat and a DiMarzio Super Distortion. I know that Maiden used Super Distortions during that period, but I've also read that this pickup doesn't sound that great in a thin-bodied guitar like the SG. I really like the attack and immediacy of P90s and I would imagine they can be pushed quite a bit before losing their definition. Then again, it's a single-coil and you don't see many of them being used for metal. That leaves the SD Custom 8, which - according to this board - should be a perfect match for the SG. That would mean buying a Custom 5 and exchanging the magnet, wouldn't it?

Has anybody her tried P90s for metal? A Super Distortion in an SG? Fumbled around with a Custom 8?

What would you pick?

Thanks in advance!

Re: SG Special in search of a new bridge PU

Originally posted by Witty Username View Post
    Hi there! I've grown tired of my SG's 490t. To me, it sounds too mid-focused, honky and - overall - tiny. I'm aiming for Iron Maiden's sound on Killers or Number Of The Beast: crunchy hard rock/metal tone with juicy treble and punch. I've done my share of research and narrowed it down to an SD Custom 8, a Phat Cat and a DiMarzio Super Distortion. I know that Maiden used Super Distortions during that period, but I've also read that this pickup doesn't sound that great in a thin-bodied guitar like the SG. I really like the attack and immediacy of P90s and I would imagine they can be pushed quite a bit before losing their definition. Then again, it's a single-coil and you don't see many of them being used for metal. That leaves the SD Custom 8, which - according to this board - should be a perfect match for the SG. That would mean buying a Custom 5 and exchanging the magnet, wouldn't it?

Has anybody her tried P90s for metal? A Super Distortion in an SG? Fumbled around with a Custom 8?

What would you pick?

Thanks in advance!
    If you want that sound, I'd go with the Super Distortion. I can't really think of a reason that it wouldn't work, and Adrian Smith has used them in his SGs for years. The Custom series are great pickups (and my favorite higher output SD), but they don't really sound like a SuperD. You could order a Custom, Custom Custom, or Custom 5 and swap the magnet yourself, or you could order one as a shop floor custom with the A8 already installed for a small upcharge.

I wouldn't recommend Phat Cats at all for heavier music. I've heard they can be pretty good with a magnet swap, but the stock bridge sounded weak, thin, and nasal in my SG.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Custom 8's are pretty popular here, especially for SG's. Pair it with a '59N and you have a great combination for a lot of genres. Get any of the three Custom pickups and put an A8 in it. You can find used Duncans for around half price, so you can do this on the cheap.

490's are okay, but nothing to get excited about. They're better with different magnets, as I've found with most Gibson pickups.

P-90's have a clearer tone and better low end than HB's, which is why Gibson sat on them, for their first two years (1955 to 1957) before finally releasing them. Seth Lover was charged with the task of making a noiseless P-90, and he couldn't get those great tonal qualities into his PAF's.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        I wouldn't recommend Phat Cats at all for heavier music. I've heard they can be pretty good with a magnet swap, but the stock bridge sounded weak, thin, and nasal in my SG.
        I completely agree. Phat Cats are super cool pickups and magnet swaps open the doors to lots of variations due to the pickups two magents...but for my use, Phat Cats never sounded good with heavier stuff.

I prefer the 500T, which is what I recommend, especially for heavier music. But that's a pickup that people basically love or hate.

Comment

I played a '62 SG Special with a Super Distortion in it for a few years as my main guitar for a few years. I did not play metal but I did use it in an industrial hardcore band a la Ministry and Broken-era Nine Inch Nails. That guitar rocked like h*ll and practically played itself. If that is the sound you seek, get one!
          You can find one used and if you really don't bond with it you can always resell it for what you paid and thentry the Custom 8 as a last resort.

Comment

I have a Custom sh-5 bridge with a WLH neck in my SG special and it sounds awesome. Brightness in the bridge and a little darker in the neck. And that awesome Gibson growl achievable in all positions
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Witty Username View Post

What would you pick?

Thanks in advance!
              There's a lot of Super Distortion'd SG clips on youtube.

With P90s, go to a guitar center, grab a halfdecent P90 guitar off the walk, plug into a 5153 or 6505, set all knobs to noon on each of the channels, and try before you commit.

...and if you DO like it, seriously consider using a P-rail in a tripleshot instead or in at least one of the positions
              Last edited by Adieu; 10-07-2018, 10:44 PM.
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
              X