banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 pu strat; want parallel/series switching 4 all 3 PU??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 pu strat; want parallel/series switching 4 all 3 PU??

Is it possable to wire switching for a 3 pu strat so I can select any combo of pickups, to have parallel-series?? Do I need mini on-on switches?? Do I need a super switch??

Re: 3 pu strat; want parallel/series switching 4 all 3 PU??

I think it's possible with combination of superswitch and DPDT switch(es?).

I have switching system that uses separate DPDT's for bridge/middle and neck/bridge combos either parallel or series with 4-way blade.

I also have diagram for regular 5-way, but I recall every way I tried to make it, it always had a kill position
    somewhere.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Without adding extra switches this is probably the best you can get.
      Last edited by Herby; 10-02-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I have an "kill switch" added on my bridge pickup on my SSS Strat so that you can get N, N+M, M, M+B, B, B+N & B+M+N...so essentially making a 7 way out of a 5 way switch. I recall some Charvel Jackson Models with essentially a kill switch for every pickup so you can turn any pickup on or off...some versions of the Model 4s and 5s I believe. So that would give any combo for the pickups themselves.

For Parallel-Series I believe there is a Fender S-1 switch that can also give you a lot of pickup positions as seen on their Elite Strats.

Comment

You can get inexpensive reasonable results by fitting a single mini on-on-on DTDP . This gives normal Strat configuration in the middle, Neck pickup added in parallel when forward.Gives you all 3 if you need it . Back gives various series options depending how you wire the switch.In the example below you get bridge,bridge, Bridge and middle in series Bridge in series with middle and neck in parallel, bridge in series with neck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat wiring.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	5809938

If you do not want the added switch you can get series between any 2 pickups using a single push pull .You do not need a super switch

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
            You can get inexpensive reasonable results by fitting a single mini on-on-on DTDP . This gives normal Strat configuration in the middle, Neck pickup added in parallel when forward.Gives you all 3 if you need it . Back gives various series options depending how you wire the switch.In the example below you get bridge,bridge, Bridge and middle in series Bridge in series with middle and neck in parallel, bridge in series with neck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93049[/ATTACH]

If you do not want the added switch you can get series between any 2 pickups using a single push pull .You do not need a super switch

Hope this helps
            You can't get all options without superswitch. You need grounds to switch at the pickup selector for that and won't have poles to do that with standard switch.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by Leftyluthier69 View Post
              Is it possable to wire switching for a 3 pu strat so I can select any combo of pickups, to have parallel-series?? Do I need mini on-on switches?? Do I need a super switch??
              6 switches and Brian May wiring except series/parallel instead of phase?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                6 switches and Brian May wiring except series/parallel instead of phase?
                Good suggestion.

That's easy for a wiring viewpoint. I like intuitiviness of blade switch, but that's really just whatever you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                  You can't get all options without superswitch. You need grounds to switch at the pickup selector for that and won't have poles to do that with standard switch.
                  I am not saying you can get all the options. You can get series as stated in my post with one push pull . You just use one side and wire it as shown in in the top ofthe diagram. This is of course a well known mod which features in many wiring diagrams.

I agree there are ground isssues with trying to get ALL options but do not think the superswitch willl necesarily overcome this.I have tried various experiments with 2 push pulls and am still experimenting just out of curiosity. I personally think the mini on on on is adequate for most and getting "the last combination" is an overcomplication.

I have been fitting the mini on-on-on to strats for around 10 years and everybody likes the mod.

Although it does not cover the OPs wants, I thought it worth mentioning as it is a good compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
                    I am not saying you can get all the options. You can get series as stated in my post with one push pull . You just use one side and wire it as shown in in the top ofthe diagram. This is of course a well known mod which features in many wiring diagrams.

I agree there are ground isssues with trying to get ALL options but do not think the superswitch willl necesarily overcome this.I have tried various experiments with 2 push pulls and am still experimenting just out of curiosity. I personally think the mini on on on is adequate for most and getting "the last combination" is an overcomplication.

I have been fitting the mini on-on-on to strats for around 10 years and everybody likes the mod.

Although it does not cover the OPs wants, I thought it worth mentioning as it is a good compromise.
                    It's good idea and bet it works for many. Just noted that it wasn't exactly what OP wanted. (series/parallel to all combinations)

Comment

Working...
                    X