X2N + Which Neck Pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2N + Which Neck Pickup?

Hi. Ibanez RG2570 with Edge Pro, basswood body, 5 piece maple/walnut neck, 11-48 strings for D standard. Used to rip thru heavy/prog/power metal ala Dream Theatre/Symphony X vibe/style.
    I would like to run the D Activator X neck in the neck but curious how a Humbucker from Hell would work in this config? Any other neck pickup recommendations welcomed! Currently have the X2N in the bridge and DAX bridge in the neck but it's overpowering so need a neck pickup.

Rig: Orange #4 Jim Root Terror all valve head into '93 Marshall JCM900 1936 Lead V30/T75 loaded cab.

Re: X2N + Which Neck Pickup?

I used to run a Super 2 in the neck of a Jackson Warrior with an X2N in the bridge. They worked very well together.

Comment

First answer is "none"

But since you are going to....that Super 2 would not b e a bad choice at all! Don't know what is hip in DiMarzio land for the prog crowd.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Try a regular D-Activator neck pickup.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Toejam View Post
          I used to run a Super 2 in the neck of a Jackson Warrior with an X2N in the bridge. They worked very well together.
          Never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. What do you think of MJR running a Tone Zone in the neck with an X2N in the bridge? TZ in the neck...too boomy? He gets a great lead tone though

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            First answer is "none"

But since you are going to....that Super 2 would not b e a bad choice at all! Don't know what is hip in DiMarzio land for the prog crowd.
            I don't want a gaping hole haha
            I have an Illuminator neck in my Charvel San Dimas. Dialled back treble but very smooth sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Try a regular D-Activator neck pickup.

Considering this. I like Chris Broderick's live tone with his custom RGA 7 string on the first Big four show in Sofia, Bulgaria 2010. I believe he used a DA set.

Comment

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
                Never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. What do you think of MJR running a Tone Zone in the neck with an X2N in the bridge? TZ in the neck...too boomy? He gets a great lead tone though
                I love the Tone Zone, but have never tried it in the neck. I usually prefer my neck pickups a little brighter.

MJR does have great tone, though, and the TZ seems to work great for him with the X2N.

Comment

I’ve had more than a couple guitars that ended up with X2N/Super D (not Super 2) combos. Yes, the Super D isn’t particularly clear in the neck but it’s fantastic for that super saturated ‘ooooooooo’ tone for legato stuff.

The TZ already sounds like a Super D through a wet blanket. I can’t imagine it in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Toejam View Post
                    I love the Tone Zone, but have never tried it in the neck. I usually prefer my neck pickups a little brighter.

MJR does have great tone, though, and the TZ seems to work great for him with the X2N.
                    Me neither but then again MJR's tone is pretty damn good and he uses the neck for quite a few solos/fast runs. In terms of power output the D Activator neck is about the same power level as the TZ but is neck oriented so that may just be the better option for me since I tend to like more treble from the neck especially at lower tunings. Remember I'm running my Prestige with 11-48 (maybe even 50) in D standard. My DAX in the neck now is just great for high sustain legato and shred runs but boomy...gives the X2N a real fight for its money haha.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                      I’ve had more than a couple guitars that ended up with X2N/Super D (not Super 2) combos. Yes, the Super D isn’t particularly clear in the neck but it’s fantastic for that super saturated ‘ooooooooo’ tone for legato stuff.

The TZ already sounds like a Super D through a wet blanket. I can’t imagine it in the neck.
                      Super D in the neck eh? Hmm...think I'll go for the DA neck or perhaps a Gravity Storm...or just keep the look consistent and get a DAX neck pickup. I've heard its very good in the neck for metal and that I don't doubt since the bridge is a very good heavy music pickup I've owned for years.

Comment

The D-Activator neck is loud, but clean. With gain, the epitome of fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          The D-Activator neck is loud, but clean. With gain, the epitome of fluid.

Now that...sounds like music to my ears
                          Think I'll grab it then. Should be perhaps a little more fluid with less lows and more highs than the DAX neck...

Comment

When I get my USA WR1 I’m going to go X2N/Liquifire combo
                            Guitars:
                            Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                            PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                            ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                            Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                            Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                            Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                            Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                            Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                            Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Trust me, X2N (Bridge)/ TONE ZONE ( Neck)! Michael Romeo Knows it!

Comment

Working...
                              X