Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X2N + Which Neck Pickup?

Originally posted by mst View Post
    Trust me, X2N (Bridge)/ TONE ZONE ( Neck)! Michael Romeo Knows it!
    So you reckon I should take the plunge?? Maybe I can borrow a friend's TZ to try in the neck first lol

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
      When I get my USA WR1 I’m going to go X2N/Liquifire combo
      Liquifire is a very good neck pickup indeed. I have its successor, the Illuminator neck in my Charvel San Dimas and love it

Comment

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
        Liquifire is a very good neck pickup indeed. I have its successor, the Illuminator neck in my Charvel San Dimas and love it
        I’m going X2N because Death and then neck because I need beautiful cleans and liquidy leads
        Guitars:
        Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
        PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
        ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
        Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
        Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
        Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
        Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
        Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
        Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

I’m going X2N because Death and then neck because I need beautiful cleans and liquidy leads
          That combo will do the trick. If you want brighter cleans you'll have to look elsewhere than Petrucci's pickups in general though. Liquid-y leads? Hell yes (from any Petrucci pickup)

Comment

That combo will do the trick. If you want brighter cleans you'll have to look elsewhere than Petrucci's pickups in general though. Liquid-y leads? Hell yes (from any Petrucci pickup)
            The only Dimarzio neck pup I have experience with is the D-activator which I love.
            Guitars:

Comment

I have both. The LF I have in a S5570 and the Illuminator in a CU24. I feel like the Illuminator has a little more girth than the LF. I might be hearing the maple vs mahogany neck or thicker body on the PRS, but I feel like the difference is pretty significant. I would either would work well, but the LF is going to have more presence. I haven't tried a D-Activator so I have no idea there.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Toejam View Post
                I love the Tone Zone, but have never tried it in the neck. I usually prefer my neck pickups a little brighter.

MJR does have great tone, though, and the TZ seems to work great for him with the X2N.
                Me neither but then again MJR's tone is pretty damn good and he uses the neck for quite a few solos/fast runs. In terms of power output the D Activator neck is about the same power level as the TZ but is neck oriented so that may just be the better option for me since I tend to like more treble from the neck especially at lower tunings. Remember I'm running my Prestige with 11-48 (maybe even 50) in D standard. My DAX in the neck now is just great for high sustain legato and shred runs but boomy...gives the X2N a real fight for its money haha.
                For more treble, the Super 2 works wonders (I've got it paired up right now with a Super D in a Carvin tuned to Eb, used to use the Super 2 in the neck with an X2N in my old Jackson tuned to D).

The regular D Activator will work well, too. I've got a pair of D Activators in my ESP/LTD Alex Wade 7-string and they're very good, pretty hot.

Comment

For more treble, the Super 2 works wonders (I've got it paired up right now with a Super D in a Carvin tuned to Eb, used to use the Super 2 in the neck with an X2N in my old Jackson tuned to D).

The regular D Activator will work well, too. I've got a pair of D Activators in my ESP/LTD Alex Wade 7-string and they're very good, pretty hot.
                  I’d be using an Jackson Warrior WR1 tuned to D with 10-52 NYXL with traditional specs such as Alder Body, Maple Neck and Ebony board.
                  Guitars:

Comment

I don't think you can really go wrong with the Super 2 or DA in the neck. The Super 2 is probably just a tiny bit hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                      I have both. The LF I have in a S5570 and the Illuminator in a CU24. I feel like the Illuminator has a little more girth than the LF. I might be hearing the maple vs mahogany neck or thicker body on the PRS, but I feel like the difference is pretty significant. I would either would work well, but the LF is going to have more presence. I haven't tried a D-Activator so I have no idea there.

Luke
                      I feel the same about the Illuminator in my Charvel San Dimas (alder/maple/Floyd) that it has more girth and noticed that since its direct mount the tone is better - more alive and more like the description of the Illuminator than when I had it in my JEM neck although it was still good sounding in the pickguard mounted setup.

Comment

I don't think you can really go wrong with the Super 2 or DA in the neck. The Super 2 is probably just a tiny bit hotter.
                        I'll probably go for the DA neck rather.

Comment

The only Dimarzio neck pup I have experience with is the D-activator which I love.
                          I'm sure I'd love it too.

Comment

Working...
                          X