EQ curve on custom shop pickups - High Voltage, Brobucker, Greenie, 78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ curve on custom shop pickups - High Voltage, Brobucker, Greenie, 78

Does anyone know what the EQ curve is on the custom shop pickups I'm listing here?
    They are not listed on the Custom Shop webpage.
    Thanks

High Voltage
    Brobucker
    Greenie
    joyouswolf on eBay for references.
    Over 1000 all positive feedback.

Re: EQ curve on custom shop pickups - High Voltage, Brobucker, Greenie, 78

I think, for the most part, EQ was kept off of the Custom Shop page in favor of descriptions of the sound. I am sure someone can guess, but I am not aware of any 'official' EQ graphs. The EQ for the regular production pickups are a little...um...creative...in that they aren't listed at specific frequencies and seem to vary the scale a lot.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

We should invent a "fuzzy word" to EQ translator.

Warm->good mids
      Muddy->too much mids
      Thin->too scooped
      Etc...

Comment

the issue is already you and i use different words for different things, and its only two people when i say warm i mean the treble response is soft, muddy usually means too much bass or low low mid, thin is lack of bottom or low mids

Comment

So I'm out of luck then.
          Sometimes seeing a graph can give me a ball park.
          I don't like scooped EQ on pickups. I like a juicy mid range like
          High output - JB
          Medium output - 59/Custom Hybrid.
          Vintage output - Pearly Gates.
          Just wanted to know where those custom shop pickups fit.

Comment

You can order a Custom Shop pickup to your specs; just tell them exactly what you want in terms of EQ and approximate sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              the issue is already you and i use different words for different things, and its only two people when i say warm i mean the treble response is soft, muddy usually means too much bass or low low mid, thin is lack of bottom or low mids
              True!

Well, now you know the right definition lol

Comment

The beauty about ordering from the Custom Shop is that you can just specify the EQ you want. They will tell you if it matches a current CS pickup or not, or if they will modify a design they already have. Sometimes they start from scratch. But they are experts in translating insufficient 'tone terms' into a formula for the correct pickup.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the '78 is kinda bright and chewy but not thin, the brobucker is thick and fat with a little bite. dont have any experience with the other two.

Comment

The High Voltage set seems to be somewhat similar to the 59', from what I can glean. That crunchy, crispy, not a ton of bass type tone that Angus plays with. A5 mag dominates this one. Maybe T-Top with more juice is a good description.

Greenie Set - This set is simply one of the best PAF style pickups available. A2 magnets. Nice mids, not scooped. Bridge is the crunchy chewy slightly spongy bass thing you want from a PAF. The neck is sweet as honey without being super warm like the APH. There is clarity under moderate to medium high gain that I find in very few pickups. It's a slightly sweeter, slightly warmer Seth Lover, with all the clarity and chime. So far, hands down, the best PAF set I've played.

Brobucker - it is very warm and chewy, a bit on the dark side to me. I need to try it in another guitar, but I found it too warm and thick, without the clarity I wanted. Might be different in another guitar.

That's all I've got.
                    My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                      We should invent a "fuzzy word" to EQ translator.

Warm->good mids
                      Muddy->too much mids
                      Thin->too scooped
                      Etc...
                      ^^This is why you have to really have to listen to the pickups yourself. There are so many varying descriptions that two people can use the same words to describe differing things. For example, here are my definitions of the same words:

Warm: High end reduced in favor of upper mids
                      Muddy: Too much bass, not enough treble
                      Thin: Either too much highs, too scooped, or not enough bass.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Thanks all
                        And thanks for those who answered my question regarding the EQ curve on the pickups mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                        X