banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coil Split & Parallel Series wiring help before I cut twice and it's still too short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Split & Parallel Series wiring help before I cut twice and it's still too short

Seriously, I currently have my guitar setup with both neck (Jazz) and bridge (59) that full coil split with the volume PP and partial coil split with the tone PP with 2.2k going to ground. The partial sounds much better then the full split to the point that I would like to rewire the volume PP to do something else like switching from parallel to series operation but before I desolder and resolder I would like to make sure what I am going to do will work and/or maybe I should do something else with the volume PP. I didn't see that wiring option in Seymour's wiring diagrams which I find a little concerning but I did find:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil Split & Parallel Series.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	5849291

I was going to move the tied black/green for the neck (my current wiring now not the pic as I am using the screw side of the neck) and the tied red/white for the bridge to the middle posts on the tone PP from the middle posts of the volume PP and keep the 2.2k resistors connected to the posts closest to the pot remaining so when the switch is pulled it is still a partial coil split. Then I was going to have the black from the bridge go to the left lower post (closest to the pot) of the volume PP and also tie to the 3 way toggle and the white from the neck go to the left middle post of the volume PP and the upper left post tied to ground so when the volume PP is not switched the white from the neck is grounded and when it is switched (pulled up) the the neck to the white and the black of the bridge are connected hopefully making to operation series. Can you guys take a look and see if that makes sense before the solder starts flowing. Thanks!
    Don't mind me I'm a drummer

Re: Coil Split & Parallel Series wiring help before I cut twice and it's still too sh

I don’t know if I’m reading that diagram wrong, but it looks like it will only be pickups in series when the pickup selector switch is in the neck position.

Comment

Re: Coil Split & Parallel Series wiring help before I cut twice and it's still too sh

Yup. And the other two positions would be weird. N+B would give you bridge only, and B would give you the bridge with the neck hung out on the hot side of the circuit, potentially acting as a noise antenna. It's not bad if you always remember to use the neck position only, when selecting the series mode.

I'm having a hard time understanding the rest of the post. Still looking.

Comment

Sorry about that. I guess the first question has been answered though, a no, which was can I with a volume push/pull and a tone push/pull get both a coil split and select between series and parallel. I guess that is why I couldn't find a wiring diagram of it from SD. The rest of the post was me trying to adapt my current wiring to the diagram and I wrote it too quickly to be understandable but if the diagrams a bust then that was very helpful knowledge. I guess for now I will leave it as it is. Maybe I could wire the volume push pull for phase as the partial coil split is much more usable then the full split. Thanks for taking a look, I know it was a bit convoluted.
        Don't mind me I'm a drummer

Comment

I think your idea is feasible,if you can live with remembering to engage neck to get series.

It may not assist you but I rewired a 3 pot schecter some years ago to get some alternative sounds which worked well. On that guitar the JB bridge benefited from having a parallel option. S1 in the diagram. If you ingnore that there is some similarity with your diagram except S3 gives combined series /OOP which gave a more useful sound than series or OOP alone. Had no trouble with noise when OOP/series was engaged and 3 way selecter was in the bridge position. Quite the reverse It acted as a kill switch which was a bit of a bonus.

This may not actually answer your question but may give you food for thought. Apologies for my lack of artistic talent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	5809995

Its good to hear that you have had some sucess with partial coil cuts. I experimented with these and dial a split many years ago but found nothing inspiring.
          Last edited by Gstring; 10-07-2018, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X