Bass Cut Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Cut Mod

Hey everyone, I'm planning on upgrading my strat's electronics, and I'm thinking of adding a bass cut circuit like this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	strat_PTB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	5849293

I've already got 3 500k pots which I want to use (I'm using SSL-4 pickups which are better suited with the 500's than 250's)

However the diagram shows that I should be using a 1meg pot for the bass cut, is that necessary, or will I be fine with just the 500s?

Re: Bass Cut Mod

Hi,

A 1M pot will cut more bass but a 500k will still be useable. :-)

EDIT - BTW, I'd rather use a dual TBX pot allowing treble OR bass cut than two separate pots. YMMV.

FWIW, the pic below simulates how a bass cut changes the resonance of a pickup with 1M vs 500k control: see the two black lines (and keep in mind that the lowest note on a guitar is above 80hz). The red line shows the resonance of the pickup without bass cut, of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BassCut1mVs500k.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5809983
    Last edited by freefrog; 10-06-2018, 02:28 AM. Reason: Replied on a hurry...
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

You can change the volume pot value to suit your pickups better, but I would leave the other two pot values alone to start. You want the 1M IMO, and something not shown in the diagram is that it should be reverse audio tapered.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I use a 500K and a .0015 cap for bass cut. It's perfect for me. I also use a 250K and a .022 cap for treble cut. 500K Vol.
        Last edited by Herby; 10-06-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X