banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does UOA5 and A8 change EQ and output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does UOA5 and A8 change EQ and output?

I'm wondering if someone can give me guidance on how UOA5 and A8 change EQ and output?

For example if i take an Duncan Custom SH-5 which has an EQ of B8 M7 T9 and turn this into Custom 8 , what a lot of people seem to do, what will be the expected EQ and output ?
    Currently i'm looking into building tow pickups and wondered how EQ and output will change
    BRIDGE:
    - Perpetual Burn A8
    - Custom SH-5 A8
    - '59™/Custom Hybrid A8
    NECK
    - Jazz OUA5

Ideally for the bridge i'm looking for something like :
    - Voicing of Custom SH-5 or better '59™/Custom. that vintage growl and grind the Hybrid has.
    - Output of a JB or Alternative 8 so 16/17k
    - EQ ~ B6 M7 T7/8 or B7 M8 T8
    - (Optionally) Articulation, sustain and responsiveness of Perpetual Burn.
    Last edited by SDK2; 10-07-2018, 01:27 PM.

Re: How does UOA5 and A8 change EQ and output?

Methinks you can't get all that one pup.

MAYBE off the middle position (assuming HH guitar) using something like JB + Hybrid... or, if you're interested in involving A8, perhaps JB + A8 PAF or Alt8 + Hybrid

Oh and you'll want independent volume controls most likely

PS ...then again, maybe stick an A8 in a Duncan Distortion or Designed Detonator and see what happens
    Last edited by Adieu; 10-07-2018, 01:30 PM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      Methinks you can't get all that one pup.

MAYBE off the middle position (assuming HH guitar) using something like JB + Hybrid... or, if you're interested in involving A8, perhaps JB + A8 PAF or Alt8 + Hybrid

Oh and you'll want independent volume controls most likely

PS ...then again, maybe stick an A8 in a Duncan Distortion or Designed Detonator and see what happens
      What about if i sacrifice the "Articulation, sustain and responsiveness of Perpetual Burn. " ?

Comment

Originally posted by SDK2 View Post
        What about if i sacrifice the "Articulation, sustain and responsiveness of Perpetual Burn. " ?
        Oh I already disregarded that

Mostly because I wasnt 100% sure I understood what you meant, but also cause too many criteria...

Hmm if we're still talking HH, maybe there's also the Perpetual A8 + stock Hybrid neck formula? Not sure, might work

You MIGHT also be served just fine with an AlNiCo 8 PAF in the bridge, I was just going off your desire for high DCR winds there... judging by specs alone, that probably has as much or more output as a stock Perpetual Burn already
        Last edited by Adieu; 10-07-2018, 01:42 PM.
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

My experience has been that A8 gives noticeably increased output over A5, with bigger lows, thicker mids, and smoother highs but with a stiffer, more modern tone and feel overall.

UA5 has given every pickup I tried it in a richer, warmer, more vintage voice than A5 while keeping the lively alnico feel. I was told to expect a slight drop in output but haven't actually perceived that with any of my UA5 swaps.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
          X