Jazz Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Standards

May as well make a thread about jazz. Feel free to post some of your own tunes or other good tunes or cool lessons and stuff. Here's Don't get around much no mo. The A2P is $$ for jazz. I bet you liked the diminished whole tone scale in the intro huh?! :P

Last edited by Clint 55; 10-15-2018, 08:24 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Jazz Standards

Here's my other post.

And my 1 compliment woohoo!

Originally posted by PS412
    Nice work Clint55. That was relaxing. Makes me want sip a smokey whiskey in a speakeasy while wearing a fedora.
    I bought them for you

Comment

Jazz Standards

Nice work!

I’ll try to record something with my bizarro Esquire.

Thanks for taking the initiative. Not the most talked about genre here [emoji4]

Comment

Thx! No prob. Yes, jazz isn't that popular but it's great music.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 10-16-2018, 10:49 PM.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Nice!

The method I was taught was ostensibly a "jazz" method, and I learned to play many standards and licks as a byproduct ... however, I am not a jazz player and every time I play jazz it sounds totally fake to my ears. I love the genre, love listening to it (particularly hard bop), but I am basically a dumb prog guy.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thx! Yeah jazz is tough to sound authentic. I started in college and I'm finally getting my act together 14 years later. I like hard bop too. My favorite hard bop musicians would be Grant Green and Bobby Timmons.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 10-16-2018, 10:47 PM.
            I bought them for you

Comment

You guys got it all wrong:

Comment

I’m sure this is just me, but I’m not really a fan of Jazz as a style.
                Don’t get me wrong, I can hear the expertise that it takes to play in that style and I’ll be the first to admit that I probably can’t do it. At least not without a lot of practice.
                I respect the players in that genre.
                BUT, at the end of the day I find it absolutely boring as f*ck. There’s no excitement and I find myself tuning it out like background music.
                I’ve tried in the past to give it a chance as a listener, but it just doesn’t do anything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  Don’t get me wrong, I can hear the expertise that it takes to play in that style and I’ll be the first to admit that I probably can’t do it. At least not without a lot of practice.
                  BUT, at the end of the day I find it absolutely boring as f*ck. There’s no excitement and I find myself tuning it out like background music.
                  I’ve tried in the past to give it a chance as a listener, but it just doesn’t do anything for me.
                  There's no shame in not liking a genre; sounds like you gave it a shot.

I will say this, however:

30 years ago I wouldn't be caught dead listening to experimental, ambient, or other "20th century/avantguarde" composers. As my tastes have evolved over time, I listen to far less metal/pop/rock than I did then and a LOT more of the former...

Frank Zappa's music is a great gateway from diatonic/pentatonic music into stuff that's more challenging.

I repeat -- THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DIATONIC OR PENTATONIC MUSIC! But the other stuff exists for those looking to go beyond the dominant 7.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                    There's no shame in not liking a genre; sounds like you gave it a shot.

I will say this, however:

30 years ago I wouldn't be caught dead listening to experimental, ambient, or other "20th century/avantguarde" composers. As my tastes have evolved over time, I listen to far less metal/pop/rock than I did then and a LOT more of the former...

Frank Zappa's music is a great gateway from diatonic/pentatonic music into stuff that's more challenging.

I repeat -- THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DIATONIC OR PENTATONIC MUSIC! But the other stuff exists for those looking to go beyond the dominant 7.
                    The guy I’ve been taking lessons with comes from a similar rock background as I do. Over the years however, he has gone down the Jazz path and as such, he often references various jazz examples (in the style of*) when we discuss the topics we do.
                    I’d like to think that someday I’ll be able to be a rock player that is able to approach the instrument in a way that resembles what a jazz guy might be thinking.

We shall see, however. Lol

Comment

Jazz Standards

I grew up with jazz and it really makes me happy to listen to it. What puts you off? The fact that it's instrumental, slow, moody? Do you include fusion in that? There's also SO much variety that there HAS to be something you like. We gotta find it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                        I grew up with jazz and it really makes me happy to listen to it. What puts you off? The fact that it's instrumental, slow, moody? Do you include fusion in that? There's also SO much variety that there HAS to be something you like. We gotta find it!!
                        I think the thing I can’t wrap my head around is the “outside” playing. I need more of a direct melody, a more traditional melody.

Tbh, I haven’t listened to a ton of fusion but the little I did listen too gave me that same uncomfortable feeling.

I like instrumental music quite a lot. I’ve been listening to a bit of Jason Becker lately since the other thread came up. I’ve always loved Satch too.

Comment

I think the thing I can’t wrap my head around is the “outside” playing. I need more of a direct melody, a more traditional melody.

Tbh, I haven’t listened to a ton of fusion but the little I did listen too gave me that same uncomfortable feeling.

I like instrumental music quite a lot. I’ve been listening to a bit of Jason Becker lately since the other thread came up. I’ve always loved Satch too.
                          I think there's hope!

There's obviously a lot of outside playing in general but some things are more melodic than others. If I spot a song that I think would be a good fit I'll send it your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                            I think there's hope!

There's obviously a lot of outside playing in general but some things are more melodic than others. If I spot a song that I think would be a good fit I'll send it your way.
                            That works! I’m open to that!!

Comment

Good jazz is extremely melodic.

I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X