Best Bareknuckle pickup sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bareknuckle pickup sets?

I won a raffle at my guitar store for a free set of Bareknuckle pickups. What sets do you guys like the most and why? It doesn't matter what guitar it's going into because I'll probably buy a guitar for them, even if it means I'm playing right into their hands.

Re: Best Bareknuckle pickup sets?

They sell most of their pickups with a neck and a bridge model that are actually a different wind instead of just adding a couple thousand more turns to the bridge. I got the chance to play a Les Paul style guitar that had an Emetald neck and Mule bridge. It sounded phenomenal, but then again it was a $4k guitar with like five different exotic woods on it.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I have a calibrated set of Rebel Yell pups. They are great. One of the best neck pickups I’ve ever had.
      In fact I’m thinking I might put them back in my LP this weekend.

Comment

What are your musical tastes/playing style???

Or indeed do you want to buy a guitar for maybe a new type of playing you want to try out.

Otherwise you're going to get just about every set recommended if you leave it long enough.....which won't narrow things down that much.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          What are your musical tastes/playing style???

Or indeed do you want to buy a guitar for maybe a new type of playing you want to try out.

Otherwise you're going to get just about every set recommended if you leave it long enough.....which won't narrow things down that much.
          I'm totally fine with that as I play just about everything. Well, except for Metalcore and stuff along those lines.

So I'll consider any set that any of you all really thought stood out as superior.

Comment

Well, its still too open as a concept really........

but just to play along, the best set from them I have had is the Apache singlecoil set.

Comment

I bought a Mule bridge and had high hopes for it based on all the reviews I read about it. I was underwhelmed. It was rather weak. I discovered I pretty much HATE Alnico 4 magnets. Too "hi-fi" to my ears. I had a Miracle Man bridge at one time too but I sold that as well. Too hot and compressed/congested. I'm sure some of the others would have worked better for me. I like a hot PAF type with Alnico 2 magnets but I don't see anything quite like that. I could probably hang with the VHII or Black Dog set.
              Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
              "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
                I bought a Mule bridge and had high hopes for it based on all the reviews I read about it. I was underwhelmed. It was rather weak. I discovered I pretty much HATE Alnico 4 magnets. Too "hi-fi" to my ears. I had a Miracle Man bridge at one time too but I sold that as well. Too hot and compressed/congested. I'm sure some of the others would have worked better for me. I like a hot PAF type with Alnico 2 magnets but I don't see anything quite like that. I could probably hang with the VHII or Black Dog set.
                Look into the Slash set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                  Look into the Slash set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                  I have a Les Paul with a Slash bridge. Its fantastic!
                  "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

So I've better conceptualized the tone I am going for. I just got a sweet deal on an Epi Lucille that comes with the stock mudbuckers and was thinking about going for a blues/ hard rock tone. Picture ZZ Top or Led Zeppelin (please don't lecture me on Teles and soundboards) at the most and a pretty decent clean tone as well.

The SD pickups closest to what I want could be described as a 59 neck and a Whole Lotta Humbucker bridge. I might use a bit more mids than that, but clarity under distortion and a nonboomy neck are a must for this set. I am also a fan of A4 magnets, if that makes a difference.

I'll post tommorow some of my online findings for common sets if anyone wants to provide commentary on them.

Comment

The Mule set might be just the ticket in your case.....if not they sell quickly on the used market!

Comment

Check out the riff raff's

Comment

Most people seem to go for a mule/riffraff combo.....with the higher k of the two sets being the bridge pickup.

Comment

+1 on the Rebel Yell set. Aggressive enough to rock hard, still cleans up quite well. Cuts through a mix well without ever sounding thin or harsh. A really special neck pickup, one of the sweetest around.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I had both Blackguard '50 and '52 Tele sets which both were exceptional! I soon settled with 50 bridge and 52 neck, as I liked the hotter/angrier bridge and very stratty neck pickup. I still have the 52 neck in my Warmoth swamp ash/roasted maple tele that has been installed there for 3 years. That's quite a long time as I normally go thru different pickups every few months.

I've also played Aftermaths that were too hot for my taste and Juggernauts, which have sort of hi-fi sound to them. I much preferred the Jugs since they have less compression and much more natural tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X