Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Bareknuckle pickup sets?

Originally posted by '59 View Post
    So I've better conceptualized the tone I am going for. I just got a sweet deal on an Epi Lucille that comes with the stock mudbuckers and was thinking about going for a blues/ hard rock tone. Picture ZZ Top or Led Zeppelin at the most and a pretty decent clean tone as well.

The SD pickups closest to what I want could be described as a 59 neck and a Whole Lotta Humbucker bridge. I might use a bit more mids than that, but clarity under distortion and a nonboomy neck are a must for this set. I am also a fan of A4 magnets, if that makes a difference.
    If you want a bit more mids but clarity under gain and a non boomy neck (I find the 59' neck boomy), you're describing the Slash set to a T. Fabulous set of pickups. For something just a bit more vintage, the Seth Lover set would be brilliant. The Seth neck may be the sweetest one out there with incredible chime and a great clean tone. The bridge is crunchy without being too bright and handles the gain you're talking about so well. Brilliant set.

I know you asked about Bare Knuckles pickups, but I don't think they have anything that is just exactly what you want, while SD has several.
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-19-2018, 12:29 PM.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

I would go for Rebel Yell as well, or maybe Riff Raff in neck and Mule in bridge for more classic rock stuff.

I tried a Black Dog in my Les Paul, and I didn't like it. It had too little output and power. But it sounded fantastic in my SG 61RI for AC DC stuff. So it really depends on the guitar.

They are great pickups though. Very open and dynamic.
      Last edited by Troll; 10-19-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
        If you want a bit more mids but clarity under gain and a non boomy neck (I find the 59' neck boomy), you're describing the Slash set to a T. Fabulous set of pickups. For something just a bit more vintage, the Seth Lover set would be brilliant. The Seth neck may be the sweetest one out there with incredible chime and a great clean tone. The bridge is crunchy without being too bright and handles the gain you're talking about so well. Brilliant set.

I know you asked about Bare Knuckles pickups, but I don't think they have anything that is just exactly what you want, while SD has several.
        I won a raffle for any free set from them, and I want to try a new brand anyway.

Comment

A friend of mine has a VHII bridge in his LP and it sounds great. I’ve never played his guitar personally so I can’t speak to it’s feel or compression etc.

Comment

I've had the VHIIS, Abraxas, Mules and now Riff raffs , all in recent (2016 and 2017) Gibson Les Paul Traditionals. Overall, the most versatile set was the Abraxas, if Tim had never made anything but that wind he would still be in business. It's the ultimate hot paf type, the bridge behaves so nicely on clean tones, but has such a great crunch tone as well. The Mules as some previously mentioned are incredibly clear, too much so for my tastes, the lower wind A4 bridge pickups always have this "Steely" thing in the upper mids that I can't get past. The VHIIS might be a little modern for what you are thinking, I love them, but Thin Lizzy and ZZ Top are probably the lightest style I play with the Les Paul's. The riff raff set I have currently, and it's really versatile as well, very similar in tone to the Dimarzio 36th bridge, the Riff raff neck might be a little brighter. Really not too far off from 59's, just more midrange, and less bass. Duncan makes a lot of great pickups in this realm too, but if you are getting free BKPs my first choice would be the Abraxas or Riff raff.

Comment

I was looking at a Riff Raff in the neck and Black Dog in the bridge. Would this work for what I want in a semi-hollow? If not, what would I expect from it?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

I tried a Black Dog in my Les Paul, and I didn't like it. It had too little output and power. But it sounded fantastic in my SG 61RI for AC DC stuff. So it really depends on the guitar.

They are great pickups though. Very open and dynamic.
                This makes sense to me. One of the few ways I’ve ever gotten close to a JP Les Paul sound was when I used two neck pickups with the same output. All the gain, beef, and girth came from the amp, and the low output pickups gave me a full range of dynamics at my fingertips.

Comment

^Page's #1 had the bridge pickup weaker (just in winds alone without the positional output bias) from the start anyhow. Once the T-top went in there the imbalance was even greater

Comment

Working...
                  X