What's Yer Thots On Univibes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Yer Thots On Univibes?

I was looking at getting a MXR M68 Univibe pedal because it not only is advertised as a chorus for people who don't like choruses and it works as a vibrato pedal?

What do ya'll think about Univibes in general and do you have any experience with higher quality units at cheaper prices?

Re: What's Yer Thots On Univibes?

In general, not a huge fan. Especially not some of the more extreme/psychadelic uses.

That said, I own a T-Rex Viper. I am definitely in the camp of they are very cool when you want something a little more delicate/different/subtle than a chorus/phaser/vibrato.

Almost that "I don't know what it is about that sound...." kind of thing.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

They call it chorus, but it isn't. Uni-vibes are a 4-stage phase shifter; I replaced the Phase 90 on my board with a Fulltone Deja 2 because I like being able to vary the speed with the treadle.

The MXR isn't a true Uni-vibe circuit either, but it's decent for the price. The original used a photocell and opto-coupler, and pedals using a similar design cost quite a bit more than the MXR.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        They call it chorus, but it isn't. Uni-vibes are a 4-stage phase shifter; I replaced the Phase 90 on my board with a Fulltone Deja 2 because I like being able to vary the speed with the treadle.

The MXR isn't a true Uni-vibe circuit either, but it's decent for the price. The original used a photocell and opto-coupler, and pedals using a similar design cost quite a bit more than the MXR.
        I got one of those baddies for $100 used in near mint condition. I don't use it all that much, but when I do I get people asking me "How did you get that cool tone on [such and such a song]?"

I like Univibes, I've never tried the M68 though.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

+1 to all this.

If you can’t play one at least listen to a ton of YouTube clips. UniVibe is a very unique effect, originally intended to replicate a rotating speaker (it doesn’t), designed as a phase shifter (but sounds different than a Small Stone or Phase 90) and labeled Chorus/Vibrato (it doesn’t sound like what we now call chorus and the vibrato is unique as well).

Made famous by Jimi, Gilmour and Trower, it’s super psychedelic sound that’s fun but can be challenging to use. If you really want one, the Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe is a great one at a good price. The Moen Shaky Jimi gets decent reviews for its price, and you may as well try the MXR too. However, if you don’t know that the Univibe is exactly what you want, I might suggest scouring Reverb/ebay/forums for a cheaper chorus and Phaser, they are more typical sounding and easier to incorporate into a rig than a Univibe sometimes.

If typical chorus isn’t your thing, maybe try a Flanger like the Mooer Elect Lady. It’s a clone of the Electric Mistress and does cool Modulation that’s somewhere between chorus and Flanger.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Last edited by some_dude; 10-21-2018, 01:28 PM.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Love thots. Hate univibes. They make me seasick and I'm an alcoholic so they don't work for me.

You NEED one if you want to cover "Bridge of Sighs" tho
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Love 'em in the right place, and as mentioned they are actually phase shifters trying to emulate rotary speakers.

As mentioned, the Voodoo Micro Vibe and Shakey Jimi are both very good, I think the Jimi is a clone or at least very close to the Micro Vibe, both are optical units using LEDs IIRC, so do the original Univibe thing well.

Can't speak to the MXR, but it isn't an optical unit as far as I know, doesn't mean it isn't good, just that it's an analog(?) circuit emulating an analog optical circuit that was originally made to emulate a rotary thing.

Comment

I have a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe, but I can also get close to the slow UV sound on Bridge of Sighs with a script MXR Phase 45. Not as complex as the Univibe, but it would do in a clinch.
                  Al

Comment

I have a GGG kit Phase 45 too, there is an easy mod to make them more vibe-ish, still not 100% but you can get really close with it.

Comment

i love the effect. there are lots of really great sounding boutique ones. i can get a convincing version of the sound from my ehx flanger hoax. my favorite sounding current production univibe like pedal is a dunlop rotovibe, oddly enough. its damned expensive, though.

Comment

I like the effect as well...every once in awhile I go down the rabbit hole of looking up a decent clone to grab, but never do
                        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Hate both Thots and mildly dislike Univibe.
                          Never got why both are used.
                          Guitars:
                          Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                          PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                          ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                          Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                          Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                          Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                          Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                          Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                          Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Working...
                          X