Triple Ceramic Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Ceramic Custom

Has anybody tried a triple ceramic custom yet, with the double thick ceramic and the flanking magnets? What about a double thick alnico variety magnet with or without flanking magnets?

This sounds like a good area for experimentation, but as a high school I don't have the money to spend on this hobby just to experiment.

Re: Triple Ceramic Custom

Nope, never tried it, but now you have me curious...
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
    Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
    Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
    Jackson dx10d
    DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
    MXR Carbon Copy
    MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Now the double thick alnico idea is intriguing.

Comment

There’s a version of this called the holeshot (DD-5) that came from the custom shop on some Dean/DBZ guitars. It’s also slightly overwound.

I’ve always wanted one but never had the money when one came up. We should get a group buy here on the forum going for a run of them.

Comment

The Custom has too much bass to handle so much power ...

Comment

Originally posted by fab.regnaut View Post
            The Custom has too much bass to handle so much power ...
            A simple cap across the coils like the Invader neck could easily remedy this problem.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Isn't that the deal with the Gibson Dirty Fingers. 3 ceramics?

Comment

I've done triple ceramic, alnico in the center with ceramic flanks, and double thick alnico. Triple ceramic is hella hot, alnico in the center is good because it stays organic with some ceramic bite, and double thick alnico is awesome because it's hotter and juicier.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                  Isn't that the deal with the Gibson Dirty Fingers. 3 ceramics?
                  And the Invader and Black Winter. And the 500T.

Comment

BW is three ceramics? Didn’t know that. FWIW Mine don’t seem any hotter compared to Distortion or Custom or 500T. It’s a very flat sterile pickup, IME.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      BW is three ceramics? Didn’t know that. FWIW Mine don’t seem any hotter compared to Distortion or Custom or 500T. It’s a very flat sterile pickup, IME.
                      My BW-equipped guitar doesn't feel much hotter than my other guitar with a Distortion, but when I track DI's, I can see it's definitely hotter than the DD in the waveform.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-24-2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have a source for the thick ceramics? Besides buying 12$ import pickup sets from amazon and cannibalizing?

***EDIT: I found some on Mojotone, but they're a tad long. might work anyway... https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P...gnet-2-60-Long
                        Last edited by chris effect; 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM.
                        "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          Have you compared it to an Invader yet?
                          Amps: EVH 5150 iii & old Laney cabs with Celestion Heritage Greenbacks. Guitars: 2014 Jackson USA RR1, 2010 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1986 Charvel San Dimas, Warmoth Lefty Strats w/ Callaham bridge. Pedals: Strymon, Dunlop/MXR, ISP...

Comment

Originally posted by bldrst View Post
                            Sorry I haven’t. I don’t happen to have an invader. Reviews tend to regard the invader as pretty “thick” sounding and that isn’t a direction I’ve wanted to go, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bldrst View Post

I have an invader in a firebird type guitar, and a black winter in an SG. Probably not the best basis for comparison, but they are similar. The Invader is darker, the mid range is about the same. I removed the big hex caps from the Invader and replaced them with dimarzio style set screws and now they sound even closer. The invader is still darker though. Could be the difference in guitars i suppose
                              "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Working...
                              X