M-Audio BX5 Speakers, problems with too much bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-Audio BX5 Speakers, problems with too much bass

I don't know if this is the right place to post this.. i am playing guitar emulation software ( bias fx, amplitube 4) through computer and interface. However i noticed that through pair of M-Audio BX5 speakers the sound is not really good. The sound is boomy, or how can i describe it, it sounds like there is too much of bass response going on. And not only in daws, recording software.. also with listening to music on you tube, media player etc. I found out how to fix that.. I set equalizers almost everywhere with bass reduction setting, than it's ok.. Does anyone else have that kind of problem with this particular speakers? I have doubts about studio place not being so well, but i also have doubts about this speakers. In the same room i run Randall Diavlo RD1 through Orange PPC 1x12 cab, and the sound is maybe a little bit too boomy, but far superior than what i get from BX5s through daws. I need no equalizer for the amp in the room at all. I tried MXR, with bass reduction setting, but there was no changes in sound of the amp.
    Last edited by Lux84; 10-25-2018, 07:06 AM.

Re: M-Audio BX5 Speakers, problems with too much bass

i have a set of those but havent noticed them being overly bassy though they dont lack bass for being so small. they arent terrific speakers or anything but for the price i paid and as long as ive had them, i cant complain

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      i have a set of those but havent noticed them being overly bassy. they arent terrific speakers or anything but for the price i paid and as long as ive had them, i cant complain
      Same here. Not boomy at all for me.

Comment

The problem being present with both your BX5s and guitar amp point to a problem with placement or room acoustics. Those speakers are rear-ported, so they need to be at least a foot away from any wall. You should also avoid putting speakers in the corner of a room. Lastly are your speakers sitting directly on your desk, the floor, or some other large, solid surface? If either your BX5s or your PPC112 are sitting on such a surface, they'll be coupling which increases bass response. Moving the speakers away from the wall/corner and isolating them from the floor or desk in some manner may solve the issues you're seeing.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Aha.. than it's probably the room acoustics thing. I don't know, i have them a little distanced from the walls already, they're not that close to walls.. It's seems that it's way more problem with bx5s than with orange cab. I'll try to experiment a little. But, as i said, an add of equalizers on the computer with bass reduction setting almost totaly fixed that problem. I guess i would need to shape all the final recordings with a help of a headphones than.
          Last edited by Lux84; 10-26-2018, 01:52 AM.

Comment

BS. I have a pair of BX8a, which are bigger, 8 inches. No boomy bass at all. Probably your speakers are damaged.

I should at that they sit in the middle of the room, below ear level.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i have a set of those but havent noticed them being overly bassy though they dont lack bass for being so small. they arent terrific speakers or anything but for the price i paid and as long as ive had them, i cant complain
              I have the same speakers as well and my experience is the same as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Lux84 View Post
                Aha.. than it's probably the room acoustics thing. I don't know, i have them a little distanced from the walls already, they're not that close to walls.. It's seems that it's way more problem with bx5s than with orange cab. I'll try to experiment a little. But, as i said, an add of equalizers on the computer with bass reduction setting almost totaly fixed that problem. I guess i would need to shape all the final recordings with a help of a headphones than.
                The distance from the wall is only one part of the equation. The room size and shape has the biggest affect on what you are hearing. The basic maths behind it aren’t too hard and you can find the least-offensive place in your room (hint, it’s probably at the 32-33% mark of the long walls of your room, not the middle).

I would suggest a) not using EQ, but a high pass filter, if you MUST do something. Then use a spectrum analyzer to verify that you are not missing problem areas that you cannot hear when you mix or b) using some sort of room dsp plugin that comes with a measurement microphone, like ARC2 (this is what I use). Finally, c) treat your monitoring space!!

In any event, I would suggest you read up on room modes and standing waves to best understand what’s going on.

Do not follow blind, unsubstantiated advice as to where to place the speakers in your room, every room and set of ears is different.

Edit: if you are not using the monitors for critical listening or mixing, there’s no need to do any of this!
                Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 10-27-2018, 06:48 AM.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  if you are not using the monitors for critical listening or mixing, there’s no need to do any of this!
                  Absolutely agreed.

You know room acoustics far better than I do, but I figured that coupling or possibly having the speakers too close to the wall would be easy things to fix.
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    Absolutely agreed.

You know room acoustics far better than I do, but I figured that coupling or possibly having the speakers too close to the wall would be easy things to fix.
                    Absolutely! Those are simple, easy-to-implement fixes that have noticeable results. Small nitpick: you want to decouple the monitors. Coupling is what is contributing to the issue.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Absolutely! Those are simple, easy-to-implement fixes that have noticeable results. Small nitpick: you want to decouple the monitors. Coupling is what is contributing to the issue.
                      Yeah, I could have phrased that a bit better. Still working on the first cup of coffee after a rough night.

Comment

The distance from the wall is only one part of the equation. The room size and shape has the biggest affect on what you are hearing. The basic maths behind it aren’t too hard and you can find the least-offensive place in your room (hint, it’s probably at the 32-33% mark of the long walls of your room, not the middle).

I would suggest a) not using EQ, but a high pass filter, if you MUST do something. Then use a spectrum analyzer to verify that you are not missing problem areas that you cannot hear when you mix or b) using some sort of room dsp plugin that comes with a measurement microphone, like ARC2 (this is what I use). Finally, c) treat your monitoring space!!

In any event, I would suggest you read up on room modes and standing waves to best understand what’s going on.

Do not follow blind, unsubstantiated advice as to where to place the speakers in your room, every room and set of ears is different.

Edit: if you are not using the monitors for critical listening or mixing, there’s no need to do any of this!
                        Thanks for suggestions, i am gonna try those things. The speakers are badly resonating in low end, so the eq's are actually great way to fix that. Without eq's bass reduction settings the sound is unbearable. I will try to find those high pass filters in amplitube 4 and bias fx for the start. And the ceilings in the room are made out of soft wood completly, there is no concrete in them at all. I moved here about a year ago, than about a month ago, when i invited someone to check out the sound of my software, he said that low end is resonating badly, so we setted up those eq's and sound improved a lot..
                        Last edited by Lux84; 10-27-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X