Tell me about Harley Benton Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Harley Benton Guitars

Since Guitcon 2018, it seems that the internet has exploded with praise for Harley Benton guitars.

Yes, they're stupid cheap, and are basically rip offs of other more expensive brands and models, but digging deep into it, there are many mixed reviews and other issues as well.

The #1 issue being that there are no retailers in the USA. Which some say is a big problem with shipping, guitars arriving broken, or if they need to be returned, it becomes a headache. Thommann makes good on the returns, but many say it's a much bigger PITA than it needs to be.

The other thing that gets thrown around a lot is that they have some serious QC issues and you never really know what to expect when you order one. The word "Lemon" gets thrown around a lot. Some say as many as half the guitars they've received have to be returned because of a whole myriad of build and QC problems.

Does anyone here have any experience with these guitars or know anyone who got one? I'm seriously starting to consider getting one, just to see what the fuss is about, and for the price, it may even worth the effort just for an experiment.

Ant thought, advice, words of wisdom?

Re: Tell me about Harley Benton Guitars

I've read about them in British guitar magazines. No doubt within a few years they will make it to the US market- I am sure they are trying.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They are an in house brand for a company called thoman based in bavaria.

All cheap and cheery made in asia entry level stuff.

Comment

You get what you pay for.....

A saying well worth keeping in the forefront of your mind everytime a purchase is being considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
          Since Guitcon 2018, it seems that the internet has exploded with praise for Harley Benton guitars.

Yes, they're stupid cheap, and are basically rip offs of other more expensive brands and models, but digging deep into it, there are many mixed reviews and other issues as well.

The #1 issue being that there are no retailers in the USA. Which some say is a big problem with shipping, guitars arriving broken, or if they need to be returned, it becomes a headache. Thommann makes good on the returns, but many say it's a much bigger PITA than it needs to be.

The other thing that gets thrown around a lot is that they have some serious QC issues and you never really know what to expect when you order one. The word "Lemon" gets thrown around a lot. Some say as many as half the guitars they've received have to be returned because of a whole myriad of build and QC problems.

Does anyone here have any experience with these guitars or know anyone who got one? I'm seriously starting to consider getting one, just to see what the fuss is about, and for the price, it may even worth the effort just for an experiment.

Ant thought, advice, words of wisdom?
          Used gear prices are far too good in USA to bother with budget copies
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            Except new Harley Benton are even cheaper than most used budget guitars.

My only experience with HB guitars was old strat that was garbage. Their guitar cabs are great though. And many HB pedals are just rebranded Joyos, so not bad. Uglier though.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
              Except new Harley Benton are even cheaper than most used budget guitars.

My only experience with HB guitars was old strat that was garbage. Their guitar cabs are great though. And many HB pedals are just rebranded Joyos, so not bad. Uglier though.
              How much cheaper than $120 - 200 japanese guitars did you want to get??? The only type you'll have to cough up 300+ for is LP copies, or uncommon shapes (explorers, for example), and really only if in a hurry and unwilling to wait and search
              Last edited by Adieu; 10-27-2018, 04:18 AM.

Comment

How much cheaper than $120 - 200 japanese guitars did you want to get??? The only type you'll have to cough up 300+ for is LP copies, or uncommon shapes (explorers, for example), and really only if in a hurry and unwilling to wait and search
                HB are in 100-200€ range. Their LP costs 160€

Only seen other chinese guitars with that price in used market here. Not cheaper. But maybe it's different in US.

There are no japanese guitars under 300€ on sale here. Never. They generally go for around 500 €
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                  HB are in 100-200€ range. Their LP costs 160€

Only seen other chinese guitars with that price in used market here. Not cheaper. But maybe it's different in US.

There are no japanese guitars under 300€ on sale here. Never. They generally go for around 500 €
                  Order it from abroad. It'll cost maybe 40€ more in shipping

Comment

I seriously doubt the QC issues, even though I never touch that sucker. I suspect it is the stereoptypical, ultranationalists, opinionated Americans who believes everything Asian must suck. Meanwhile they continue purchasing iPhones and Nikes.

Europeans and Japs are more open minded to imports, apparently. There is a reason Ibanez Premiums and LTDs and some Japan-only models like Grassroots are widely popular over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                      I seriously doubt the QC issues, even though I never touch that sucker. I suspect it is the stereoptypical, ultranationalists, opinionated Americans who believes everything Asian must suck. Meanwhile they continue purchasing iPhones and Nikes.

Europeans and Japs are more open minded to imports, apparently. There is a reason Ibanez Premiums and LTDs and some Japan-only models like Grassroots are widely popular over there.
                      Europe and Japan are A LOT richer than America.... not in a meaningless average distorted by a few trillion net worth residing within a mere several square miles of SF Bay Area and NYC, but in the much more meaningful median. Average folk with money to burn.

That means more uninformed amateurs who walk into a chain store and drop $600 - 1000ish on a prospective new hobby, purely following the "helpful" salesperson's recommendation

No serious gearhead would ever recommend Ibby Premium over an 80s RG or a Jcraft with a few battlescars, or a new Grassroots over a 90s ESP

Comment

Not-richer-than-the-uninformed-american-amateur European here.

Harley Bentons are pretty common here, and they're as uninspiring as you'd expect. I would suggest them to a person that was looking for their first guitar AND was on a seriously tight budget, but not anyone else.

Up close, they look, feel, play and sound as cheap as you'd expect based on their price.

There are MUCH better Asian-made guitars I would go to before them that, admittedly, cost twice as much, but when "twice-as-much" is 150-200€, I would say it'd be worth it. Maybe throw another 200-ish € down the road in upgrades and you'd have an axe for life.

As for the Ibby Premium / Grassroots comment, agreed, a seriously informed gearhead that KNOWS what to look for would most definitely prefer the 80's RG or the 90's ESP but don't forget there are at least three of four times as many guitar players with chops most of us couln't ever dream of having who know next to nothing about years or models and only know the guitars that hang on the wall of their closest guitar shop...

To put it another way: How many people drive cars? How many people are good drivers?
                        How many people would look at an AE85 and an AE86 with their hoods popped and wouldn't simply call them "a grampa-old Toyota", let alone be able to tell "the good" from "the bad" apart?
                        Last edited by KeeperOS; 10-27-2018, 08:37 AM.
                        Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                        I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                        Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                        Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I've been thinking a lot about this very thing.

The guitar that lights my fire the most is the 35HB which is a copy of a Gibson 335. I can get it shipped to my door for about $225USD. I have been searching for years for that style of guitar, and the used ones I've tried (even the Epiphone ones) were just not great.

That's exactly the trouble I'm having. If I could pick one up at a shop and feel and play it, I could tell instantly if it was worth the price of admission compared to other similar guitars I've tried. I wouldn't even mind paying more for a quality 335 copy from another company, but at that price point, my curiosity is piqued.

Comment

I purchased an £80 Telecaster for prototyping pickups in. The [ceramic bar] pickups weren't potted, but as I had no intention of keeping them anyway, I just potted them, and put them on eBay for a fiver each.

I don't like the neck profile, but that has been the case with most Fenders I've tried, with the exception of the Japanese and Baja ones, otherwise I really enjoy it. It is a lot heavier than I'd expected, but not uncomfortable, and the tuners are better than most budget guitars.

I've a sample somewhere that I did for someone interested in the Tele pickups I was working on - I'll edit this post to include it if I've still got it somewhere

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sp1i36...uence.wav/file
                            Last edited by Davii; 10-27-2018, 08:58 AM. Reason: Link added
                            My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

right now
                              Amazon has a Firefly 335 copy for $139
                              it will need some work and probably pickups

Edit
                              Full Size Hollow body Electric Guitar with Cable, and Picks (Blue Burst) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FSQFPY..._N5o1BbFZFHE9S
                              Last edited by ehdwuld; 10-27-2018, 05:03 PM.
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X