No announcement yet.

What happened to the "other" rail pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the "other" rail pups?

I know there used to be a Nokie Edwards, neck and bridge, IIRC, and I think there was something called a Hawkbucker. I was thinking there might have been at least one other. Now, there's only the Dime, El Diablo, Slug, and half of a Fuglybucker. Anyone know why they stopped producing the others?

Re: What happened to the "other" rail pups?

Low sales?
    Everyone associates rail humbuckers with metal and those were not metal pickups. Just guessing.

Comment

RIP SD Silverbird. You will be missed.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I believe they will still make a Silverbird or any other, it’s just a Custom Shop order rather than production floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          Low sales?
          Everyone associates rail humbuckers with metal and those were not metal pickups. Just guessing.
          The "low sales" makes sense, but I don't associate "rail" pups with metal. But I could definitely be in the minority. I'm making a distinction here between the thin "Dime" rails, and the thicker rails of the ones I mentioned. Nokie Edwards was, of course, the guitarist for The Ventures. Now that I've got a taste for the thicker rail pups, I'm just curious what they may have sounded like.

Edit: Oops. I may need to back-pedal a bit on that position. I just checked the DCR of the Slug. 48k! Yowsa. That ain't "surf" guitar.
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-26-2018, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Maybe it is associated with metal because it looks more menacing? I mean, the rail idea is good, although with guitarists wanting everything to look a certain way, I can understand why a '59 or other vintage-output pickup wouldn't use them. But there is no denying that they are great for string balance.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Image issues.

People see rail, think L500xl/Dimebucker or X2N... can't sell a non-extreme output pup with rails. Target audience won't buy it, and people who buy it by mistake instead will be dissatisfied customers
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

As someone lucky enough to have bought a guitar with Bardens in the bridge they certainly have an appeal outside of metal. I was quite fond of vintage rails I had in a Yamaha RGB as well so I am glad that Duncan still makes this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I may not be using the right terminology. The Dime, and Hot/Cool/Vintage Rails definitely look like little railroad tracks. And those pups are popular. I'm referring more to the big blade pups like the Slug and El Diablo. Pups like the NE and Hawkbucker that have gone missing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slug_resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	5810192

Although, I realize I'm the one who brought up the Dimebucker as an example.

Edit: I'll be danged! I just found the old Hawkbucker. Now it's listed under "Bass pickups".
                  http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/hawkbucker/
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-27-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I get that rails don’t look traditional, but I think it’s sad that people largely associate rails with metal. From my experience they tend to be super articulate and clear.

$160 for the Hawkbucker...expensive to try one.

My suggestion would be to try the Bill Lawrence EB50 for $55. I have it in my Iceman bass and it’s amazing. A lot of guys on the Bill Lawrence forums say it makes for a killer guitar pickup. It has thicker and wider/longer rails than the L500s but it’s the same size housing.

Comment

I still need to try that 500XL. But that will have to wait 'til we get back in town next week.

Comment

The rails being the side profile of bar magnets?

Could always throw a closed cover over them to get around the image issue?
                        My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

I don't think the "bars" in those are the magnets. But I'm not positive. And just to be clear, I love the look of all of the rail-style pups. I also like the PATB series. But it's mainly due to their sound. Great unappreciated pickups.

Comment

Too bad that Duncan doesn't make more rail p-ups , I have a 7 strings guitar with a broader string spacing than usual , for my big hands ,
                            and had not a lot of option , so I installed two Lace X-bar . And they are very good .
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20171231_101843.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	5810194

Comment

I think they are constructed with a normal humbucker magnet...and 2 rails that are magnetized.

To be fair, the Custom Shop can make anything you'd ever want. I think in order for things to be production pickups, they'd have to be associated with a famous artist, or come out in a guitar that everyone universally loves so the pickup sales will make more money than it costs to produce on a grand scale.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X