No announcement yet.

What happened to the "other" rail pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened to the "other" rail pups?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    To be fair, the Custom Shop can make anything you'd ever want.
    Unless it's me asking for a sidewinder style humbucker
    My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

I think they are constructed with a normal humbucker magnet...
      Yup. Just checked. My El Diablo has a standard A2 bar underneath the bobbins.

Comment

I know the Fuglybucker at least uses an A2 for both the rail and under the coils, but I can't confirm anything on the other styles of rail pickups.

FWIW, I think it's high time for a new rail pickup. One that is marketed in a way to break the "rails are for metal" stigma.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'll tell you what I don't like about them, and it's the same thing with Lace Sensors: The looks.

Rails just look off on any guitar to me, unless it's a Dimebag signature of sorts, in which case it's his thing but it's still wrong to me.

So I don't care how good they sound, I'm probably not having them.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
            I'll tell you what I don't like about them, and it's the same thing with Lace Sensors: The looks.

Rails just look off on any guitar to me, unless it's a Dimebag signature of sorts, in which case it's his thing but it's still wrong to me.

So I don't care how good they sound, I'm probably not having them.
            Well, in guitar playing, this isn't uncommon. Everyone has an idea of what guitars and guitar parts should look like, and that look is 70 years old which makes any innovation a risky commercial proposition. I have no doubt a vintage-type pickup can be made with rails, and it might even sound better and be usable with more types of string spacing, but the problem is...will it sell? I am one of those weird people that is ready to throw out the rule book on what guitars should look like and how they work, but I am in an extreme minority here, and I know it. I am limited in exploring what this ideal should be to me by my 'musician' budget and therefore having to modify or deal with what is commercially available.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I am one of those weird people that is ready to throw out the rule book on what guitars should look like and how they work, but I am in an extreme minority here, and I know it.
              I'm in this same camp. But I wonder how "extreme" it really is. Lots of folks like Hot Rails and Dime's. There might be more of us than you think. People like to be "different".

Comment

What happened to the "other" rail pups?

Originally posted by Davii View Post
                Unless it's me asking for a sidewinder style humbucker
                I make those!

I like pickups with blades instead of round poles. You get a more even tone and less string pull.

I think they look cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by DavidRavenMoon; 10-27-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Nice! What does "Sidewinder" refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Nice! What does "Sidewinder" refer to?
                    A sidewinder is a type of humbucker where the two coils are on their sides, facing a common blade or set of poles.

So the pickup only samples the strings at one point, just like a single coil. Because of that they sound like a real single coil with no hum.

To make it easy to visualize, here’s a bass pickup made to fit the old Gibson “mudbucker” in the EB-3 basses, which was also a sidewinder. Only it had a boatload of wire.

The same thing can be done for P-90s, and I’ve done Strat and Jazz bass pickups like this.

Comment

Ah. Interesting. Learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        Ah. Interesting. Learn something new.
                        Interestingly Seth Lover had a sidewinder with split coils (one coil for three strings) in his original patent for the Gibson humbucker

Comment

Cool. Q-Tuner's does something along this same line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Q-Tuner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	5810199

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                            A sidewinder is a type of humbucker where the two coils are on their sides, facing a common blade or set of poles.

So the pickup only samples the strings at one point, just like a single coil. Because of that they sound like a real single coil with no hum.

To make it easy to visualize, here’s a bass pickup made to fit the old Gibson “mudbucker” in the EB-3 basses, which was also a sidewinder. Only it had a boatload of wire.

The same thing can be done for P-90s, and I’ve done Strat and Jazz bass pickups like this.

I'd asked for this kind of thing for the center spot in a HHH Les Paul, but was told it wasn't possible, which left me wondering if there might be an issue that means SD couldn't legally make one. I've a design to do one myself, I've just not gotten around to it yet.
                            My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

I think is laid garbage

Comment

Originally posted by Davii View Post
                                I'd asked for this kind of thing for the center spot in a HHH Les Paul, but was told it wasn't possible, which left me wondering if there might be an issue that means SD couldn't legally make one. I've a design to do one myself, I've just not gotten around to it yet.
                                Interesting...I wonder who owns it, then. I am also curious as to what it sounds like, and how that differs from more conventional designs.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X