No announcement yet.

What happened to the "other" rail pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened to the "other" rail pups?

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    Interestingly Seth Lover had a sidewinder with split coils (one coil for three strings) in his original patent for the Gibson humbucker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you have the full picture of that patent?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Davii View Post
      I'd asked for this kind of thing for the center spot in a HHH Les Paul, but was told it wasn't possible, which left me wondering if there might be an issue that means SD couldn't legally make one. I've a design to do one myself, I've just not gotten around to it yet.
      I guess it’s a lack of interest?

Duncan does make Gibson Ripper pickups, and those are sidewinders designed by Bill Lawrence.

And Lindy Fralin makes them.

I’ve been making them for guitar and bass for about 10 years. I make them in standard humbucker and P-90 size and a few soap bars on bass.

No one owns that design.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        Do you have the full picture of that patent?

Comment

Here’s the Bill Lawrence sidewinder for the Bicentennial Firebird guitar

An electrical pickup for a stringed musical instrument includes a permanent magnet having one field polarity intersected by the string, a pair of coils, and each coil having a pole piece so arranged that the pole pieces are magnetically neutral and are thus not loaded magnetically but serve merely as inductors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Interesting...I wonder who owns it, then. I am also curious as to what it sounds like, and how that differs from more conventional designs.
            I was just guessing, as I wasn't given any other explanation other than it couldn't be done, and given the "if you can dream it" tag, I'd assumed there must have been something specific behind it. With me being on the other side of the pond, there's both the shop I place the order with, and a UK distributor inbetween, me and the custom shop, so the detail was likely lost along the way.

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            I guess it’s a lack of interest?

Duncan does make Gibson Ripper pickups, and those are sidewinders designed by Bill Lawrence.

And Lindy Fralin makes them.

I’ve been making them for guitar and bass for about 10 years. I make them in standard humbucker and P-90 size and a few soap bars on bass.

No one owns that design.

I've a few ideas, but think I'll look into the ones mentioned before trying my hand at it, especially securing them to a baseplate etc.
            My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

My guess would be they don’t have the tooling for a guitar-sized humbucker to do it and it might be too expensive to set up for one-off.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                I'm in this same camp. But I wonder how "extreme" it really is. Lots of folks like Hot Rails and Dime's. There might be more of us than you think. People like to be "different".
                Blasphemy, hotrails arent rail pups theyre HOTrails

Its not a be-different thing, it's an "I got an SSS routed guitar with an SSS pickguard and this WORKS, WELL" thing

Also, hotrails are awesome....

PS i miss HS routed superstrats, whatever happened to that???? Other than Lynch's stuff
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I'm in this same camp. But I wonder how "extreme" it really is. Lots of folks like Hot Rails and Dime's. There might be more of us than you think. People like to be "different".
                  Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                  Blasphemy, hotrails arent rail pups theyre HOTrails

Its not a be-different thing, it's an "I got an SSS routed guitar with an SSS pickguard and this WORKS, WELL" thing
                  Well, Bill Lawrence was making those Rail Pickups in the 70s.

And go back even before the PAF...The Charlie Christian pickup designed in the like the 30s has a rail...just saying.

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                  PS i miss HS routed superstrats, whatever happened to that???? Other than Lynch's stuff
                  Wayne Charvel made several in the early 2000s but that was more of a custom deal. Charvel has some models out.

I really dig it though I've only used it as HH with the neck being a single coil sized humbucker.

Comment

I spoke to the SD Custom Shop this week about rail pickups. They can do any pickup you want in the Dimebucker-style large rail style - but the caveat is that they come with a special mounting ring because the coils are slightly larger than normal. The end result is that the pickup will work in any guitar that already has a pickup ring, but a guitar with a pickguard or direct mount might require slight modifications.

Comment

Working...
                    X