Critique the gig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique the gig?

My band played at the local community festival 3 towns over, I got to FINALLY use my Fender M80 and my Metal Zone...
    Gear
    Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
    Synths: Roland D-20, Kawai K11, Yamaha QS300
    Leslie Cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 and 1974 Leslie 705.
    Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
    Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.
    Amps: Fender Sidekick Reverb 35

Re: Critique the gig?

Kudos to you for getting out there, up there and doing it!

What do you want to know about specifically?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That seething tone probably scared all the good folk away,,,,,,,,then it was a fun party after that. Good Vodoo Child at the end.

Comment

From a "Things I'd Improve" perspective, since Dave brought it up...

1. Lose the MetalZone. Wrong sound for that set list. I can see that there could be a little bit of a style developing around metal-ed out Seger, but until you get there, a more conventional overdrive/mild distortion might work better

2. Tame that delay - way too much!

Comment

Comment

Very funny. Well, the reason why I have the Metal Zone on the board is to provide that '80s style gain.. and it worked well, believe it or not someone actually came up to me and complimented my tone.
            Gear
            Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" analog theater organ, 1967 Hammond H-111 (not sounding but working), '72 Hammond T-524 + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
            Guitars: Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
            Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarFanatic View Post
              Very funny. Well, the reason why I have the Metal Zone on the board is to provide that '80s style gain.. and it worked well, believe it or not someone actually came up to me and complimented my tone.
              Family does not count!

A Metal Zone does not give that "80's tone" unless your 80's tone is 90's thrash!

Comment

I like a guy who posts his gig for internet critique. I've always hidden behind the whole "**** you, I don't give a **** what you think about my gig" haha

If you want some constructive criticism - I'll bite:

Metal Zone seems to be way too crunchy for the rhythm parts especially for the song selection -except maybe some leads.

Lots of reverb and delay in the solos on songs that never had that -kinda out of place at times

remember everyone can screw up and be fine -except the drummer -drummer's got to nail it everytime.

1st Vocalist, isn't holding notes (seems like he can find it eventually but isn't able to hold the pitch) -which is probably a vocal training thing -pay for some lessons on strengthening your voice and control to resolve this

Jump around, curse, and break some ****, and call some husbands some funny insults in front of their wives. -trust me
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Sounds great Nathan. I have an M80 also, while your tone is great I think you would get a smoother, fuller distortion with the onboard M80 gain. The reverb on those amps stellar and would add to your depth. Hope you are doing great drop me a Skype when you get a chance.

Comment

Not great, but not bad. Keep on playing out live. You're only getting better everytime that you do it.

Comment

I enjoy live music and my tolerance is quite high (I even enjoy listening to children learning how to play!) So with that in mind, I enjoyed listening to your band. Props for playing live, and double so for even putting it up for critique.

But if I had to sit down and analyze, I would definitely bring down the delay time.
                      "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                      "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                      "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                      "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

I think the tone/delay comments are accurate. If I had to add one more critique....and please don’t be offended.
                        I’d consider getting a full time singer. The vocals here just aren’t cutting it.
                        Again, I don’t mean to offend you...I’m no singer myself. I’m fine for some backup vocals and whatnot, but I’m well aware of my limitations.
                        A frontman I’m not.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          Sounds great Nathan. I have an M80 also, while your tone is great I think you would get a smoother, fuller distortion with the onboard M80 gain. The reverb on those amps stellar and would add to your depth. Hope you are doing great drop me a Skype when you get a chance.
                          I will brother!
                          Gear

Comment

I'm actually kind of the front guy for my band - but I am NOT the singer!!!! hahahaha

Seriously Nathan - focus on the important stuff: Getting out there and doing it. For every 100 people here hacking on their keyboards about how to do it, there is one that actual does. You are that 1 in 100. Be loud and be proud!

And - if you want to develop a style around the MZ - go ahead. But you are gonna be doing some punk/thrash high power versions of those songs. Which, IMO would be cool. It would let you get away with some looser/rougher vocals.

I still say way too much delay / verb.

Comment

I want trying to be a Debbie downer with my comment on the vocals...I apologize if I was insensitive.
                              FWIW, I’m a gigging player and have been for 25 years. Take that for what it’s worth but I believe I know at least a little something on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X