Micawber wiring--balancing HB to Bridge output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micawber wiring--balancing HB to Bridge output

Greetings everyone. Long time lingerer but first time poster.

I've got a Tele I call Slim. It's a Keith Richards Micawber tribute PartsCaster. I have a SD Antiquity HB 7.8k in the neck and a Don Mare 0038 10k in the bridge and for wiring I have an Emerson Broadcaster / Blend circuit installed (see wiring diagram). I love the sounds I'm getting from positions 1 (blend) and 2 (neck only) and never really use the pos. 3 (bass) position. But when you switch from position 2 to position 1 there is a drop in volume. It's not "horrible" but noticeable and it would be cool to be able to balance it better.

Right now I have the HB height lowered just about as far as it will go and the bridge height about as far up as I dare. I experimented with changing resistor values where the 15K resistor sits to see if that would help. Changing it seemed to mainly effect (affect?) the quality / sound of the blend knob but not the over all balance between pos 1 and 2. Interestingly, I found that a 10K is actually what sounds best there IMO and since then, in an effort to research what others have come up with for a solution, I discovered that CreamTone offers a pre-made "Brown Sugar" harness and it appears to also use a 10K there. Otherwise this and his circuit look very very similar.

Anyway, hopefully without effecting position 1, is there a way to reduce the output of the 2nd HB-only position to help balance things out? Perhaps this is impossible as when you reduce the output of the HB in position 2 it will naturally reduce it in position 1 as well?

Thanks,
    Scott

p.s. I realize that this guy should only have 5 strings and saddles in order to be a *true Micawber but my other guitar is in service right now so I had to throw the extra string back on for a little while.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ridgeback; 10-31-2018, 09:28 AM.
    Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.

Re: Micawber wiring--balancing HB to Bridge output

if you never use the bass position, why do you have that wiring? i find the neck/both/bridge setup much more useful.

in general matching full size buckers in the neck with tele bridge pups is tricky. the tele pups are usually bright and the neck is usually much darker. donzos 0038 is a great pup but its bright, 10k worth of #43 with a3 magnets can be a great sound but its not very fat. on the other hand, the antiquity bucker is very warm. typically i find its as much a tonal thing as output. a tone control on the bridge pup is very useful

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      if you never use the bass position, why do you have that wiring? i find the neck/both/bridge setup much more useful.

in general matching full size buckers in the neck with tele bridge pups is tricky. the tele pups are usually bright and the neck is usually much darker. donzos 0038 is a great pup but its bright, 10k worth of #43 with a3 magnets can be a great sound but its not very fat. on the other hand, the antiquity bucker is very warm. typically i find its as much a tonal thing as output. a tone control on the bridge pup is very useful
      Hi Jeremy,
      Thanks for your reply. There's speculation that Micawber employs the Broadcaster circuit thus the main reason for my trying that direction for this build. Don and I spoke about this build and determined that the 0038 would be a good match with the antiquity over all.

Interesting you say that the 0038 is bright / not fat because my experience is pretty much the opposite, at least with *this arrangement. I find it still has presence but is less twangy/trebly and has more mid-push.

In any case, if further balancing isn't possible, perhaps with *this guitar I set it in blend mode with the blend set to about 75% and forget it. That setting is pretty sweet...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        in general matching full size buckers in the neck with tele bridge pups is tricky
        I second that. I'm not too familiar with the wiring you have right now, but even with a standard neck/both/bridge situation you generally need a bright neck bucker and a pretty warm, fat and loud bridge pickup. On one of my students' guitar the only way I could sort of make it work was by using a .047 cap wired in series with the neck bucker hot wire, to filter out some low end -De-mud mod- and bypassing the tone pot altogether for the neck pickup. You might want to try 300k pots too, they're going to be slightly brighter but still fine for a hot tele lead pickup. But at the end of the day... it's still not going to be 100% balanced really (imho).

btw, I've used an Antiquity neck for years on a Tele-Gib with 500k pots and always found it very warm, can't imagine how dark it must sound with stock 250k pots :O

Comment

Hey Buddy, thanks for your response. I hear you guys and I know it's an age-old issue. I feel like I have about as warm/fat/loud sweet over-wound "broadcaster" sounding bridge I could find in the 0038. It's all that (to me) despite Jeremy's experience with it. I debated putting in the "bright" SD Jazz model but again, it was Don who suggested the antiquity paired with the 0038. In fact, he has a Tele with the 0038/Antiquity installed. His is wired differently however. I find the antiquity in the neck with the 250k pots indeed to be on the warmer side but they are still sweet. 300K pots would indeed bring the presence up on both for sure and definitely something for me to consider! It would not address the output discrepancy though?

Comment

I am surprised that you have the volume issues. I have found that you can get away with quite close K readings with 2 humbuckers and still balance - as long as you have height adjustment to lay with. And I also have a tele with a mini at about 7k which works.
            I am wondering if the 10k bridge is not wound with thinner wire, so its really more like 8k when compared with the neck humbucker at 7.8 when the 2 wire sizes are equalised.

Comment

It may not be as "historically accurate" as you would like, but I found the most versatile Micawber type wiring to be as follows:

Neck humbucker
              Neck Split
              Bridge with split neck being blended in parallel

It's a much more flexible wiring with all the tones you could possibly want from a Tele without being too difficult to set up to match output and tone. And if you don't use the bass preset neck humbucker, why have it clogging up your switch?
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Alex, the vol. issue is not massive but there. Just seeing if there's a tweak option I wasn't aware of. You might be right about the thinner wire. Not sure. Maybe I should have gone with the 11.5K 0038??

Comment

Hey Christopher, that would be a nice compromise. Do you have a wiring diagram to link to?

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgeback View Post
                    Hey Christopher, that would be a nice compromise. Do you have a wiring diagram to link to?
                    Not at the moment, but me or another member could easily make you one. I have quite a bit on my plate right now at work, but if as soon as I get some spare time I will make you one.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Personally, I'd simply use a volume pot for the bridge PU and a second volume control for the neck one (possibly fitted with a treble bleed cap), plus a "normally" wired switch. YMMV. :-)
                      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Here you see a commented schematic by Joe Gore.

An iPhone photo app makes this new Squier Tele look old. Duncan's Vintage Broadcaster Set makes it SOUND old. Sometimes an antiquated idea can acquire new relevance. Example: The ancient Fender Broadcaster wiring scheme, in which the guitar has no tone control per se, but the second knob acts as a pickup-blend control. [...]
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

What is the function of the resistor in the OP's wiring?.
                          Al
                          Never mind!. I see the answer in the article on Broadcaster Blend wiring that was linked to. Should have read that first.
                          Last edited by Zombiwoof; 11-01-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

It reduces the volume of the bassy position. It cleans it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              It reduces the volume of the bassy position. It cleans it up a bit.
                              Thanks, as I added to my post, I found the answer in the linked article on Broadcaster Blend wiring.
                              Al

Comment

Working...
                              X