Pickup mixing in FLEA Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup mixing in FLEA Bass

Hello guys! got my Flea bass a while ago!Love it to death!

one problem though is the noise of those vintage replica pickups: i like teh sparkle, not the noise!

So question 1 is: any replacement ideas? ia 4 string standard jazz dimension

Then the real problem: Electronics feature a volume/tone stacked control for each pickup.
    The Bridge only/Neck only/ both full on positions work amazingly.

The in between mixing of the pickups, doesn't!

Signal drops and there is a clear loss of tone and harmonics!!

Any suggestions? more than the pickup changing i would like to solve that!

Re: Pickup mixing in FLEA Bass

Originally posted by mst View Post
    Then the real problem: Electronics feature a volume/tone stacked control for each pickup.
    The Bridge only/Neck only/ both full on positions work amazingly.

The in between mixing of the pickups, doesn't!

Signal drops and there is a clear loss of tone and harmonics!!
    That’s how a passive Jazz works. Has nothing to do with the stacked pots, a normal Jazz will do the same thing.

The solution is an active Jazz, but they sound different.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Well, stacked pickups or side-by-side coils (like the Apollo) will stop the noise. There is always some signal/power loss with pickups blended in parallel. Series would be a more powerful, bassy sound.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love my Apollo's. They should solve your single coil issues without any compromise in tone.
        sigpic

Comment

I use EMG Jazz pickups and that pretty much solves the noise problem. They sound close enough to a single coil Jazz set.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
            That’s how a passive Jazz works. Has nothing to do with the stacked pots, a normal Jazz will do the same thing.

The solution is an active Jazz, but they sound different.
            +1

The signal drop when mixing pickups is a result of the passive pickups loading each other down. The only solutions I'm aware of are going fully active, or using a buffered mixer (like the EMG Active Balance Control), and both of those will change the tone of the bass somewhat.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
            X