banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do the Lil humbuckers compare to the full sized models in tone and output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do the Lil humbuckers compare to the full sized models in tone and output?

Specifically the Lil 59, JB Jr., Lil' Demon, Pearly Gates Junior, and Cool Rails versus Jazz.

I hear very little about this topic on this forum so I would like a comprehensive thread on the topic.

Re: How do the Lil humbuckers compare to the full sized models in tone and output?

Similar, but they have a narrower aperture, so they sound a little thinner like single coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: How do the Lil humbuckers compare to the full sized models in tone and output?

As far as '59s I know people get picky about the precise midrange voicing of the 'lil' version vs. the full-sized, but to me a 'lil' in a Strat does a good job of capturing the tone you'd get from a full-sized humbucker in a Les Paul; not spot-on, but close enough.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Physics of it’s smaller size doesn’t allow for the same sound. I’m a fan personally. It’s more focused to my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
          As far as '59s I know people get picky about the precise midrange voicing of the 'lil' version vs. the full-sized, but to me a 'lil' in a Strat does a good job of capturing the tone you'd get from a full-sized humbucker in a Les Paul; not spot-on, but close enough.
          Also remember that if they are comparing a Strat to a Gibson, the longer scale length will also make it sound brighter.

I find some of the “lil” versions are too exaggerated and dark sounding. But then I like bright humbuckers. [emoji2]

Comment

I run a tele lil 59 in my asat bluesboy, and had a 59 neck paired with it.. Not exact, but def in the same ballpark enough for my tastes. I feel that the lil t version is a bit hotter with a bit more mids, and paired with a 25.5 scale and ash body, that's not really a bad thing.
            Guitars:
            2017 Epiphone dot
            2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
            2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
            (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

Out of them all, I've found the 'Lil Screamin' Demon to sound closest to the full-size humbucker. The others are in the ballpark and very close but I can still hear a difference in them.

Comment

Anyone know what fullsize HB is closest to a Hotrail?
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                  Anyone know what fullsize HB is closest to a Hotrail?
                  Heard a rumor it was modeled after the invader? (i don't have any credible proof of this at my immediate disposal however)
                  Guitars:
                  2017 Epiphone dot
                  2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
                  2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
                  (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    Out of them all, I've found the 'Lil Screamin' Demon to sound closest to the full-size humbucker. The others are in the ballpark and very close but I can still hear a difference in them.
                    The demon is pretty close, I used one in one of my strats for years.

Comment

It isn't the same sound as the full-size ones, but it is a great sound. 'Same' doesn't matter to me, but 'great' does.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've used the lil 59 and JB Jr. As others have mentioned, in the ballpark.

The lil 59 compared to the 59, different, but like equally.

I actually prefer the JB Jr over the JB. I liked what I perceived as a tighter, brighter sound. YMMV.

Comment

I had a full size JB with 500k volume pot in one Strat and a JB Jr with 250k volume pot in another Strat. Neither was hooked up to tone. With my hands through my rig (JCM 2000 DSL100 into an 80’s JCM800 1960A cab loaded with original white label 75’s) both guitars sounded identical to me, my wife and my bandmates. Because of this, I sold the Strat loaded with the full size JB.

I used a Hot Rails for years and currently have a Strat loaded with a Little ‘59 (as well as the JB Jr loaded one mentioned before). I will soon have a Strat with a Red Devil in it.

I can’t personally comment on the Red Devil yet, but the JB Jr, Little ‘59 and Hot Rails all sound like real humbuckers to me.
                          Last edited by cliffenstein; 11-11-2018, 08:23 PM.
                          1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                          2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
                          2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
                          2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                          2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
                          -------
                          1979 Marshall JMP 2204
                          1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
                          2021 Epic Amplification AR50
                          2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                            I actually prefer the JB Jr over the JB. I liked what I perceived as a tighter, brighter sound. YMMV.
                            I too prefer the tone of the JB Jr. to the full sized thing. That combined with a Quarter Pound middle and a Lil' 59 neck make a killer pair for a rock Strat, if that is what you are looking for.

Screamin' Demon as mentioned earlier sounds probably the closest out of all the Lil' pickups. I've heard some people say the mini Pearly Gates is dead on, but I've never tried it.

Hot Rails aren't based off of anything, but I can understand people thinking that they are based off of Invaders. I'd say they are somewhere inbetween an Invader and a Distortion. To the best of my knowledge, the Cool Rails isn't based off of anything, but it sounds darn close to a Jazz, so I don't know 100% either way.

I haven't tried any of the Red Devils yet.

I'd say you are in good hands with any of the single sized humbucker offerings, they are of the same quality as the rest of SD's pickups. As others have said they are not better or worse, just different, and not by much.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The Red Devils sure sound good in the promotional video I listened to for them, it had them in all three positions of a Strat-type guitar. They sounded very humbucker-like. If you look at the pickups, they are quite a bit taller than a normal single-coil Fender pickup (I think because they have Alnico mags), I wonder if there may be problems with them fitting in stock routs in some guitars. They do sound killer from what I heard in that vid.
                              Al

Comment

Working...
                              X